citizenzen
Apr 14, 09:48 PM
Did I suggest that? I think not.
Well, you provided a cautionary tale in response to my suggestion.
That's why I asked how you felt about it.
Please note ... I asked.
If something is making money why would you cut it?
That's my question.
Well, you provided a cautionary tale in response to my suggestion.
That's why I asked how you felt about it.
Please note ... I asked.
If something is making money why would you cut it?
That's my question.

Stella
Apr 5, 02:06 PM
Apple is a business whose mission is to sell phones, computers, and software. You as a customer buy those products, but they are designed by Apple. If you have a problem with Apple establishing a standard across its products to ensure quality, then you can just stop using them. That easy, just stop buying Apple products and stop using them, period.
That's right, I'm a customer, and I'll modify my apple device how I see fit, and that including jailbreaking, enabling XCode to develop applications for my device without paying apple $99 ( afterall,nothing is going to reach the appstore - so why does Apple deserve the $99 ?). At the end of the day - a JB device is more useful than a locked up device.
That's right, I'm a customer, and I'll modify my apple device how I see fit, and that including jailbreaking, enabling XCode to develop applications for my device without paying apple $99 ( afterall,nothing is going to reach the appstore - so why does Apple deserve the $99 ?). At the end of the day - a JB device is more useful than a locked up device.
CalBoy
May 3, 09:14 PM
Semantics. Your argument boils down to the pain of change.
Again, the real crux of your argument is that people are 'comfortable' with what they already know. If you were to put that aside and judge between the two systems objectively, I can't see how anyone would actually choose imperial over metric. Metric is the future. No, check that � it's actually the present. You're living in the past Tomorrow.
This reminds me of the Dvorack keyboard layout vs the familiar QWERTY.
The Dvorack is objectively superior because it allows for higher wpm speeds than QWERTY. At the time of keyboard construction, however, Dvorack was prone to a lot more jamming by typists who were too fast for the physical limitations of the machine. Obviously that isn't a problem in the digital era, so logically we should switch to Dvorack if were had the option of starting from the beginning.
But, we're not starting from the beginning, are we? At this point switching to a new keyboard layout would be a huge undertaking for perhaps minimal gain.
The same applies to the metric system. At best it can offer minimal gains for the average person (something which, as I have pointed out above, may not be true in all cases) while costing a great deal. Even in the best of times, I think it would foolish to squander billions over such a petty thing when companies are free to shift production to be maximally efficient for themselves. If a company will make more money (or save it) using metric, then it will. There's no need to mandate it across every facet of life.
I mean, it's not as if we prevent companies from selling goods in metric quantities; if that was the case, then you'd have a good point.
Again, the real crux of your argument is that people are 'comfortable' with what they already know. If you were to put that aside and judge between the two systems objectively, I can't see how anyone would actually choose imperial over metric. Metric is the future. No, check that � it's actually the present. You're living in the past Tomorrow.
This reminds me of the Dvorack keyboard layout vs the familiar QWERTY.
The Dvorack is objectively superior because it allows for higher wpm speeds than QWERTY. At the time of keyboard construction, however, Dvorack was prone to a lot more jamming by typists who were too fast for the physical limitations of the machine. Obviously that isn't a problem in the digital era, so logically we should switch to Dvorack if were had the option of starting from the beginning.
But, we're not starting from the beginning, are we? At this point switching to a new keyboard layout would be a huge undertaking for perhaps minimal gain.
The same applies to the metric system. At best it can offer minimal gains for the average person (something which, as I have pointed out above, may not be true in all cases) while costing a great deal. Even in the best of times, I think it would foolish to squander billions over such a petty thing when companies are free to shift production to be maximally efficient for themselves. If a company will make more money (or save it) using metric, then it will. There's no need to mandate it across every facet of life.
I mean, it's not as if we prevent companies from selling goods in metric quantities; if that was the case, then you'd have a good point.
EagerDragon
Jul 22, 03:11 PM
Ok guys. I just got the word from a neighbor who is a contractor for one of the upper brass Apple engineers. There is going to be a whole new revolution this Tuesday!
The new MMP will no longer use conventional batteries. Instead, they will be run off of propane. Apple is now trying to get the BTUs up to 15000, and be energy star certified for a multi room space heater.
There will be a small propane fireplace, with a small childproof screen, in bottom center of the screen.
There is a little portable propane bottle that is the exact size of the battery compartment.
:rolleyes:
I already have that in my 15" PB 1.67, the heat from it has so far made some changes to the skin on my legs where it rest and keeps me nice an cosy in the winter.
Wont need a bigger space heater for a while.
LOL
:D
The new MMP will no longer use conventional batteries. Instead, they will be run off of propane. Apple is now trying to get the BTUs up to 15000, and be energy star certified for a multi room space heater.
There will be a small propane fireplace, with a small childproof screen, in bottom center of the screen.
There is a little portable propane bottle that is the exact size of the battery compartment.
:rolleyes:
I already have that in my 15" PB 1.67, the heat from it has so far made some changes to the skin on my legs where it rest and keeps me nice an cosy in the winter.
Wont need a bigger space heater for a while.
LOL
:D
QCassidy352
Jul 21, 02:54 PM
wow, most importantly on slide 3 they say that they launched the 965 chipset. that means they can switch to the 965 integrated GPU across the board for consumer macs. that would certainly help the heat issues, make the macs cheaper and less complicated to design for apple. standard parts and boards allow for even faster updates. good news.
mmm... GMA965. :D That should be a very nice improvement over the 950!
mmm... GMA965. :D That should be a very nice improvement over the 950!
Kadman
Apr 5, 08:53 PM
Would have been so much better if the title had read "Apple asks Toyota to put the brakes on jailbreak ad campaign"
Multimedia
Aug 3, 12:20 AM
You have said this before and it is TOTALLY WRONG if you are comparing the Merom to Yonah (http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.aspx?i=2711&p=4). The first slide is directly from Intel's Spring Developer Conference. Consistent battery does not mean 2X.There is this field report on CNET. This is not info from a SLIDE. It is from a real world field test.
Video: Long-lasting Intel Core 2 Duo notebooks (http://news.com.com/1606-2_3-6100051.html?part=rss&tag=6100051&subj=news)
Over 5 hours of battery life with Merom vs. 3 hours with Yonah. 1.67 X or ALMOST Twice.
To New York on Airplane from San Francisco, Yonah PC battery died over Illinois while same size Merom PC battery made it all the way to New York City with power to spare. So I am RIGHT NOT WRONG. You are uninformed. :eek:
Video: Long-lasting Intel Core 2 Duo notebooks (http://news.com.com/1606-2_3-6100051.html?part=rss&tag=6100051&subj=news)
Over 5 hours of battery life with Merom vs. 3 hours with Yonah. 1.67 X or ALMOST Twice.
To New York on Airplane from San Francisco, Yonah PC battery died over Illinois while same size Merom PC battery made it all the way to New York City with power to spare. So I am RIGHT NOT WRONG. You are uninformed. :eek:
enquarius
Nov 8, 04:11 AM
I was at a local apple store and they are selling the tom tom car kit already. What a rip off, because you have to pay for the app seperate. I got the griffin car mount for $20 at frys and the navigon app, works great.
Macintosheux
Apr 23, 06:29 PM
We at Consomac.fr have shared this very information last Tuesday. I clearly remember sending you guys an e-mail about this. I'm very disappointed we are again not cited as original source for an exclusive news we've published... :(
Automatic English translation: http://translate.google.com/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=fr&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&sl=fr&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fconsomac.fr%2Fnews-1129.html
French original: http://consomac.fr/news-1129.html
Automatic English translation: http://translate.google.com/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=fr&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&sl=fr&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fconsomac.fr%2Fnews-1129.html
French original: http://consomac.fr/news-1129.html

Old Smuggler
Nov 22, 01:31 AM
palms os is severely outdated
the only thing they have going for them is the abundance of software out
i own a palm and will ditch it when something pda, osx feel comes from apple
if apple makes their phone centered on a PDA and Confrencing rather than
"its an ipod and a phone"
i think they will gain some substantial ground
having the ability to use the pda phone as an ipod would not be out of the question but solely a ipod phone ? i think they would be cutting their profits to a certain age group of potential buyers
the only thing they have going for them is the abundance of software out
i own a palm and will ditch it when something pda, osx feel comes from apple
if apple makes their phone centered on a PDA and Confrencing rather than
"its an ipod and a phone"
i think they will gain some substantial ground
having the ability to use the pda phone as an ipod would not be out of the question but solely a ipod phone ? i think they would be cutting their profits to a certain age group of potential buyers
mdriftmeyer
Nov 23, 01:36 PM
Apple doesn't need to deliver a revolutionary phone-like device to grab marketshare. It's more about integrating a device within the system... and that is something Apple is good at.
Phones, new features, and additional functionality are a dime-a-dozen. New bells and whistles are added all the time, that's not what the market needs. Someone (hopefully Apple!) needs to take some of these advancements and deliver a products that integrates them in a logical and intuative way.
I second this insight. The market has been exposed to the gimmicks and now that the package has worn thin they are looking for an intuitive, durable and reliable phone that has some features you'd expect in a computer but mostly a phone that can be used with any carrier and doesn't need to be updated every 9 months.
Phones, new features, and additional functionality are a dime-a-dozen. New bells and whistles are added all the time, that's not what the market needs. Someone (hopefully Apple!) needs to take some of these advancements and deliver a products that integrates them in a logical and intuative way.
I second this insight. The market has been exposed to the gimmicks and now that the package has worn thin they are looking for an intuitive, durable and reliable phone that has some features you'd expect in a computer but mostly a phone that can be used with any carrier and doesn't need to be updated every 9 months.

LordTyroxx
Apr 5, 03:38 PM
I mean a car from 20 years ago runs fine if you haven't driven any other car. The internet from 10 years ago would be fine if you had never experienced todays broadband. Hell life as a virgin would be cool if you didn't know what sex was.
When you say your phone is far from unusable, its like a virgin saying life without sex is awesome.
Well Cydia is like being a virgin then having sex with a whore then getting STDs that constantly slow down your OS. It might be good in the short term, but you'll have to work hard to keep the swelling down with various lotions and creams. But unlike STDs, you can revert to a clean version of the OS anytime you want. :P
When you say your phone is far from unusable, its like a virgin saying life without sex is awesome.
Well Cydia is like being a virgin then having sex with a whore then getting STDs that constantly slow down your OS. It might be good in the short term, but you'll have to work hard to keep the swelling down with various lotions and creams. But unlike STDs, you can revert to a clean version of the OS anytime you want. :P
ezekielrage_99
Jul 30, 07:48 AM
Been there heard that....
Boring (dammit there are no sleeping emotion icons)
Boring (dammit there are no sleeping emotion icons)
GFLPraxis
Aug 11, 10:40 AM
This is good news for future Macbook owners. I'm interested in when the iMac will get Conroe. A friend of mine is switching from Windows and wants the iMac but is waiting for Conroe in the iMac. I only hope they go with the desktop processor in the iMac and not Merom since he's not interested in the mobile processor in his desktop.
Well, hopefully the iMac will be updated sooner than the portables. Conroe is out and available in quantities now where as Merom won't be as available in quantities until the end of this month.
Same here. I want a new iMac but I don't want to miss the Get A Free iPod With a New Mac deal.
Well, hopefully the iMac will be updated sooner than the portables. Conroe is out and available in quantities now where as Merom won't be as available in quantities until the end of this month.
Same here. I want a new iMac but I don't want to miss the Get A Free iPod With a New Mac deal.
clientsiman
May 3, 02:17 AM
You think you've got it bad? In Britain we have
milk and beer by the pint
coke by the litre
roads by the mile
tablecloths/fabric etc by the metre
petrol/diesel by the litre
fuel efficiency is measured in miles per gallon but carbon emissions are measured in grams per kilometer.
weight of people in stones and pounds
sugar/flour etc in kilograms
fruit by the pound
cheese by grams
bread loaves are labelled in grams, bread rolls sold by the dozen.
height in feet and inches.
and so on. It's a real mess. Basically we started to change, then stopped because people didn't like it. Then the EU decided certain things must be measured imperial, so now we have a have way house where nothing makes sense.
We switched from pricing petrol in gallons to litres when petrol got to 99.9 pence per gallon, and it was easier to change the signs to litres than add another digit. :rolleyes:
I grew up in Greece using only SI so it was very strange for me to measure weight in stones as I haven't heard it before. Luckily everyone in Scotland also knew their weight in kilos too.
My biggest problem was that distances where in miles and therefore everything was way further that I though. It's just an inconvenience but after a while you get used to it.
milk and beer by the pint
coke by the litre
roads by the mile
tablecloths/fabric etc by the metre
petrol/diesel by the litre
fuel efficiency is measured in miles per gallon but carbon emissions are measured in grams per kilometer.
weight of people in stones and pounds
sugar/flour etc in kilograms
fruit by the pound
cheese by grams
bread loaves are labelled in grams, bread rolls sold by the dozen.
height in feet and inches.
and so on. It's a real mess. Basically we started to change, then stopped because people didn't like it. Then the EU decided certain things must be measured imperial, so now we have a have way house where nothing makes sense.
We switched from pricing petrol in gallons to litres when petrol got to 99.9 pence per gallon, and it was easier to change the signs to litres than add another digit. :rolleyes:
I grew up in Greece using only SI so it was very strange for me to measure weight in stones as I haven't heard it before. Luckily everyone in Scotland also knew their weight in kilos too.
My biggest problem was that distances where in miles and therefore everything was way further that I though. It's just an inconvenience but after a while you get used to it.
alent1234
Apr 26, 02:42 PM
I really hope that Apple sees trends like this and realizes it's time to change their game plan. No more once a year phones. Time to kick the innovation level up a few notches. Time for over the air OS updates, over the air app installs, wireless syncing and everything else Android has offered for some time now.
most of the new android phones are just last year's hardware with updated modems. the only ARM Core A9 phone i know of it the Atrix. Everything else is A8 like the iphone 4.
I think the droid incredible is supposed to ship in a few days and that's also tegra 2. later this year tegra 3 is going to be seen on smartphones and tablets. nvidia is ramping up their 6-12 month release cycles like they did on PC's and it will probably shake up the market
most of the new android phones are just last year's hardware with updated modems. the only ARM Core A9 phone i know of it the Atrix. Everything else is A8 like the iphone 4.
I think the droid incredible is supposed to ship in a few days and that's also tegra 2. later this year tegra 3 is going to be seen on smartphones and tablets. nvidia is ramping up their 6-12 month release cycles like they did on PC's and it will probably shake up the market

Grimace
Aug 3, 10:52 PM
I think the negative votes were from those who wanted Steve to announce Merom in updated Macs on Monday and not wait until September...
huntson
May 4, 05:43 PM
Old news. I knew this three weeks ago and I send an anonymous email to these idiots and of course they ignored it
!� V �!
Apr 24, 11:05 PM
I would love to see an ultra high-res display sold by Apple. If they sold a 4K display for 2 grand I would certainly bite. Couple an awesome 4K display with 2 next gen video cards and you have yourself the best gaming machine ever built.
I can't wait. :D
You are talking :apple: pricing, then times that by 2 if not 3 and that is what they would sell a 4K display to you for. Think again, its not going to happen anytime soon. All this buzz is going to leave a lot of people disappointed since this is a new display model and nothing more. People do not sit a few inches from they computer monitor, they sit at a distance where you can barely notice the pixels on screen. Some screen have a poor quality compared to others and I know I have seen TN, PVA and IPS screens over my lifetime. I would prefer a 30" replacement matte LED as I am presently in the market for one.
I can't wait. :D
You are talking :apple: pricing, then times that by 2 if not 3 and that is what they would sell a 4K display to you for. Think again, its not going to happen anytime soon. All this buzz is going to leave a lot of people disappointed since this is a new display model and nothing more. People do not sit a few inches from they computer monitor, they sit at a distance where you can barely notice the pixels on screen. Some screen have a poor quality compared to others and I know I have seen TN, PVA and IPS screens over my lifetime. I would prefer a 30" replacement matte LED as I am presently in the market for one.
balamw
Apr 9, 08:14 PM
As I stated above, you are missing an Important rule of pemdas. When you get to multiplication/division or addition/subtraction, you go left to right. So: 48/2 is 24. And 24 *12 is 288. If u don't believe me, just google pemdas and u get the rules:
http://www.mathsisfun.com/operation-order-pemdas.html
This.
It's basically PE(M/D)(A/S).
B
http://www.mathsisfun.com/operation-order-pemdas.html
This.
It's basically PE(M/D)(A/S).
B
McGiord
Apr 10, 01:27 PM
Kids continue having fun...time to file my taxes.
And I do expect my return to be accurate like the right answer.
:rolleyes:
And I do expect my return to be accurate like the right answer.
:rolleyes:
kas23
Apr 5, 04:05 PM
Hmmm, a car company catering to a group largely comprised of teenagers and young adults whom (presumably) have little disposable income? Doesn't sound like the best idea to me personally, but what do I know...
Um, what do you think Apple does? Have you been in an Apple Store lately? I'll tell you, its like a high school pep rally. Even Apple admits that the majority of their revenue comes from iGadgets, not Macs. That is, the majority of Apple's revenue comes from devices that cost less than $500. Devices that are based around an mp3 player. Apple would not likely be around today if it wasn't for "teenagers and young adults whom (presumably) have little disposable income" buying iPods.
Um, what do you think Apple does? Have you been in an Apple Store lately? I'll tell you, its like a high school pep rally. Even Apple admits that the majority of their revenue comes from iGadgets, not Macs. That is, the majority of Apple's revenue comes from devices that cost less than $500. Devices that are based around an mp3 player. Apple would not likely be around today if it wasn't for "teenagers and young adults whom (presumably) have little disposable income" buying iPods.
applexpanther
Mar 29, 11:35 AM
Nobody forces you to store your music there. You can always store it on your computer if you want. Funny how you can see extra feature as a "limitation". I bet that when Apple offers similar service (just more expensive) you'll call it a "revolutionary" feature.
No one forces you now. I was talking in terms of future limitations. I was also speaking in the abstract, meaning any company to offer a service of this nature will "probably" impose some sort of restrictions to gouge money from the consumer. Again, speaking in future terms. Otherwise, what is the point of building some grand service if it has no advantage economically? Companies are out to make money.
No one forces you now. I was talking in terms of future limitations. I was also speaking in the abstract, meaning any company to offer a service of this nature will "probably" impose some sort of restrictions to gouge money from the consumer. Again, speaking in future terms. Otherwise, what is the point of building some grand service if it has no advantage economically? Companies are out to make money.
wovel
Apr 7, 12:25 PM
Wow. I think you missed the point. At 1199, the MacbookPRO should have a discrete option...hell, POS HP's at 600.00 do.
Oh, and please spare me the snarky "well then enjoy your HP! Har har har" comment.
Oh, and please spare me the snarky "well then enjoy your HP! Har har har" comment.
No comments:
Post a Comment