amols
Nov 22, 01:23 AM
Yeah sure...I hope they do know who makes iPods :)
iMacZealot
Jul 30, 10:04 PM
this is the rumor that comes out when there are no rumors.
I know it's just a rumor that comes and goes just like the Mac Tablet, true video iPod, etc. However, the Intel rumors did materialise, so maybe, but from the source this story's coming from, I highly doubt.
I know it's just a rumor that comes and goes just like the Mac Tablet, true video iPod, etc. However, the Intel rumors did materialise, so maybe, but from the source this story's coming from, I highly doubt.
bloodycape
Nov 22, 10:49 PM
yeah. except they forgot to put RAM in it...and the firmware is crap so far..and the battery last about...erm, 24 hours..and they wont support mac..ever!
great phone though!:)
If I am not mistaken the phone is Linux base which does mean Apple support from my knowledge of Linux pdas.
great phone though!:)
If I am not mistaken the phone is Linux base which does mean Apple support from my knowledge of Linux pdas.
gnasher729
Apr 7, 04:16 PM
I absolutely expect MS to wedge their way in, they just have to come up with an adequate OS (it doesn't have to be the 'best' OS). They have tons of cash, distribution channels, developer communities, and 00's million of desktops install that they can leverage. Look at how much money they 'blew' on Bing, Zune, Xbox to gain a tiny foothold.
What Microsoft has doesn't transfer to the tablet market. Ok, they have cash. They have enough money to give away 80 million tablets. If they do that, over the next three years, the cash is gone, and Apple + Android will still sell more units :D
Distribution channel? What distribution channel does Microsoft have for hardware? They don't. Zune was a failure. XBox and tablets are two completely different markets.
The developers are writing iPhone / iPad apps.
And how would Microsoft go about "leveraging the desktop"? People throw out computers and buy an iPad. People don't say "well, I have a Windows PC, I will buy a Microsoft tablet to go with it". They say "well, I have a Windows PC, I will buy an iPad so I can get rid of that old PC".
What Microsoft has doesn't transfer to the tablet market. Ok, they have cash. They have enough money to give away 80 million tablets. If they do that, over the next three years, the cash is gone, and Apple + Android will still sell more units :D
Distribution channel? What distribution channel does Microsoft have for hardware? They don't. Zune was a failure. XBox and tablets are two completely different markets.
The developers are writing iPhone / iPad apps.
And how would Microsoft go about "leveraging the desktop"? People throw out computers and buy an iPad. People don't say "well, I have a Windows PC, I will buy a Microsoft tablet to go with it". They say "well, I have a Windows PC, I will buy an iPad so I can get rid of that old PC".
macduke
May 6, 12:17 AM
This seems like an inevitable move in the convergence of iOS devices and Mac computers. They will eventually be the same thing. Powerful, robust, thin, power efficient, easy to use touch interface. Lion is moving in the direction of the iPad and iOS in general. The iPad has been gaining more Mac-like features and robust applications. I think the time tables are probably off. I don't see this happening for 4 to 5 years at the earliest. But with billions upon billions in cash reserves, Apple can pretty much do whatever they want!
Rodimus Prime
Apr 26, 03:08 PM
As much as I want to see Apple sell phones, I also like to see healthy competition to keep away anti-trust issues. Apple is for people who like quality high-end stuff and Android is for Kmart shoppers ;)
umm there are a lot of high end Android phones.
Apple sells cheap ass phone as well (iPhone 3GS) so it is in the Kmart shopper market is well.
For once, I'd like to see a pie chart that includes iPod Touch and iPad, which also run iOS. What's the Android device equivalent of the iPod touch?
I would not see that as useful. For a cell phone I would hate iOS but for a portable MP3 player the iPod iOS is great but I would never want it as a phone.
Lets look at smart phone only which means you can not count the iPod. Different market different rules.
Too bad Android makers are basically giving them away to gain market share.
And doesn't Nokia still making more money on ovi than Google's android store?
And that argument is not worthless as it clear that even with the iPhone on Verizon iOS is losing ground in the smart phone market.
umm there are a lot of high end Android phones.
Apple sells cheap ass phone as well (iPhone 3GS) so it is in the Kmart shopper market is well.
For once, I'd like to see a pie chart that includes iPod Touch and iPad, which also run iOS. What's the Android device equivalent of the iPod touch?
I would not see that as useful. For a cell phone I would hate iOS but for a portable MP3 player the iPod iOS is great but I would never want it as a phone.
Lets look at smart phone only which means you can not count the iPod. Different market different rules.
Too bad Android makers are basically giving them away to gain market share.
And doesn't Nokia still making more money on ovi than Google's android store?
And that argument is not worthless as it clear that even with the iPhone on Verizon iOS is losing ground in the smart phone market.
syklee26
Sep 15, 06:54 PM
just remember everyone...
all the rumor sits speculated the 23" imac (really 24") would be revealed at the "Showtime" event. apple fooled them all and released it a week early!
let's hope the same thing happens for our mbp's. here's to next tuesday! :D
if you want a completely new MBP, then i don't think u would want that to be released on next Tuesday because if they do quiet update, u won't see changes.
all the rumor sits speculated the 23" imac (really 24") would be revealed at the "Showtime" event. apple fooled them all and released it a week early!
let's hope the same thing happens for our mbp's. here's to next tuesday! :D
if you want a completely new MBP, then i don't think u would want that to be released on next Tuesday because if they do quiet update, u won't see changes.
norwaypianoman
Mar 31, 03:36 AM
Kill the Lion. I do not want it until 2012.
ender land
Apr 10, 10:54 AM
For the record, I am sad that 2 is winning (or even close) to 288. But it does help explain one thing - a reason why so many people I try to tutor/help with math cannot seem to understand basic algebra operations is because nearly 50% of people do not understand order of operations (this was roughly the same percentage on the physics poll linked to earlier) :(
No wonder people have so much trouble with doing algebra correctly :eek:
No wonder people have so much trouble with doing algebra correctly :eek:
iFanboy
Mar 30, 05:41 PM
Dear Apple
PLEASE can we have a UI update, even if it's a minor one (for instance, iTunes 10 scrollbars rather than the blue aqua ones). Just some extra polish really.
Signed
iFanboy
PLEASE can we have a UI update, even if it's a minor one (for instance, iTunes 10 scrollbars rather than the blue aqua ones). Just some extra polish really.
Signed
iFanboy
nuckinfutz
May 7, 04:57 PM
Don't negative a possibility, you have no proof that it can't happen, no matter how unlikely it is. You have no proof that iAds have nothing to do with this. We're all talking about possibilities here and MM going free is one of them.
Don't assume that iAds wouldn't lead to something else for Apple. Apple can do whatever they want if it'll earns them more money.
Yes, locking people in the Apple ecosystem earns them money, locking people in the same ecosystem with their own ads earns them even more money.
I don't negate the possibility but one of the problems is that I see is that people think Apple is going to become Google Lite. More appropriately put because Google found success with embedding advertising into free products people assume Apple will follow suit.
The failure of this ideology is that Google has largely been a web based company that has eschewed getting into consumer hardware save for the Nexus One. Apple is a company that seeks to sell software and hardware thus their profits aren't going to depend on advertising.
MobileMe Free clears up a big problem with people that have multiple computing problems which, hopefully, means they are less reticent to add another device to the collection if management costs in time and effort don't multiply.
iAd is important to Apple but it's clear that initially it's going to really appeal to the larger companies. Apple's going after the cream of the crop with iAd and not only are they designing, hosting and approving ads but the expected pricing is beyond what many companies are used to paying.
So with that in mind I think Apple keeps iAd within its walled garden and realizes that MobileMe free just sells more mobile iPhone OS devices. Could Apple leverage MobileMe free with iAds to make money? Sure but I think it's less plausible than many think.
Don't assume that iAds wouldn't lead to something else for Apple. Apple can do whatever they want if it'll earns them more money.
Yes, locking people in the Apple ecosystem earns them money, locking people in the same ecosystem with their own ads earns them even more money.
I don't negate the possibility but one of the problems is that I see is that people think Apple is going to become Google Lite. More appropriately put because Google found success with embedding advertising into free products people assume Apple will follow suit.
The failure of this ideology is that Google has largely been a web based company that has eschewed getting into consumer hardware save for the Nexus One. Apple is a company that seeks to sell software and hardware thus their profits aren't going to depend on advertising.
MobileMe Free clears up a big problem with people that have multiple computing problems which, hopefully, means they are less reticent to add another device to the collection if management costs in time and effort don't multiply.
iAd is important to Apple but it's clear that initially it's going to really appeal to the larger companies. Apple's going after the cream of the crop with iAd and not only are they designing, hosting and approving ads but the expected pricing is beyond what many companies are used to paying.
So with that in mind I think Apple keeps iAd within its walled garden and realizes that MobileMe free just sells more mobile iPhone OS devices. Could Apple leverage MobileMe free with iAds to make money? Sure but I think it's less plausible than many think.
~Shard~
Aug 11, 02:27 PM
it doesn't matter if you have a 64-bit processor and OS, you have to have 4Gb of RAM to run in 64-bit.
No you don't. :rolleyes: You can take advanatge of having more than 4 GB of RAM when running in a 64-bit environment, but you do not need it. The above statement is completely incorrect. :cool:
No you don't. :rolleyes: You can take advanatge of having more than 4 GB of RAM when running in a 64-bit environment, but you do not need it. The above statement is completely incorrect. :cool:
andiwm2003
Apr 25, 10:25 AM
Not sure what everybody is so worried about, I'm sure the phone needs to track some kind of historical information to give an accurate position. As long as accurate positioning information is not sent to Apple, is there really a problem?
yes there is a problem. because it's unencrypted and everyone with access to your phone can read the information. the software tool they published showed my travel of the last 6 month quite accurately.
I don't want someone picking up my phone from my desk at work and find out what trips to what company I did. (it works internationally btw)
also I don't think the IRS or other tax collection agencies need to know when I was where.:D
yes there is a problem. because it's unencrypted and everyone with access to your phone can read the information. the software tool they published showed my travel of the last 6 month quite accurately.
I don't want someone picking up my phone from my desk at work and find out what trips to what company I did. (it works internationally btw)
also I don't think the IRS or other tax collection agencies need to know when I was where.:D
daneoni
Apr 20, 09:19 AM
And that update is still an iPhone 5 style update. iPhone 4S and iPhone 5 are the same thing. One just refers to a potential marketing name, the other to the generation of the device.
I don't get what is so hard to grasp here. The iPhone 3G was not the iPhone 3 at all, it was the iPhone 2 (and some would argue, the iPhone 1,2).
What exactly are you arguing about here? all i'm saying is this upgrade regardless of what it's called would be a speed/performance upgrade whilst iPhone 6 would be a new design/overhaul like iPhone 4 was. Even Apple are thinking (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/04/21/apple-seeding-high-level-gaming-developers-with-a5-based-iphone-4s/) along this line
PS iPhone 4 carries a 3,1 numbering system. So it can be argued it is iPhone 3 in actuality and iPhone 5 could carry iPhone 3,2 or iPhone 4,1.
I don't get what is so hard to grasp here. The iPhone 3G was not the iPhone 3 at all, it was the iPhone 2 (and some would argue, the iPhone 1,2).
What exactly are you arguing about here? all i'm saying is this upgrade regardless of what it's called would be a speed/performance upgrade whilst iPhone 6 would be a new design/overhaul like iPhone 4 was. Even Apple are thinking (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/04/21/apple-seeding-high-level-gaming-developers-with-a5-based-iphone-4s/) along this line
PS iPhone 4 carries a 3,1 numbering system. So it can be argued it is iPhone 3 in actuality and iPhone 5 could carry iPhone 3,2 or iPhone 4,1.
thertrain
Mar 30, 06:56 PM
The iTunes scroll bars? They are much worse, what they need is either iOS scroll bars or a complete new design for them
If you spent anytime whatsoever with the 1st Developer build, you'll know they did away with both the Snow Leopard and iTunes scroll bars. They have adopted the vanishing iOS scrolls.
If you spent anytime whatsoever with the 1st Developer build, you'll know they did away with both the Snow Leopard and iTunes scroll bars. They have adopted the vanishing iOS scrolls.
chaosbringer
Apr 27, 02:44 AM
How does having the PSU on the bottom keep it cool?...
Hot air rises, so the heat generated by the PSU will just rise and fill up the case.
Unless I'm missing something or the laws of physics have changed in recent years?
the PSU is cooled down by air inside the case, if it's on top of the case, it will get mostly hot air, if it's on the bottom, only fresh air. Plus the heat generated by any Mac Pro PSU will go out the back.. Missed didn't you? :D
The G5 had a better PSU location, just not a better form size for it.
Hot air rises, so the heat generated by the PSU will just rise and fill up the case.
Unless I'm missing something or the laws of physics have changed in recent years?
the PSU is cooled down by air inside the case, if it's on top of the case, it will get mostly hot air, if it's on the bottom, only fresh air. Plus the heat generated by any Mac Pro PSU will go out the back.. Missed didn't you? :D
The G5 had a better PSU location, just not a better form size for it.
macfan881
May 7, 08:37 PM
Great news considering you can get 90 percent of the stuff for free online the only feature i would want is find my iPhone when i get the 4th gen iPhone but if i can get my own .me account i would ditch gmail in a second for me
citizenzen
Apr 14, 10:54 AM
Admittedly, I didn't read the article posted by rdowns, but from reading the quotes he put in the OP, I'd have to say I disagree somewhat with your comments. Sure, we should all be working together, but the point is that those who are making the most are not paying at the same share/percentage as those who are lower or middle income.
I believe in progressive chipping in.
I have no problem doing my part to pay taxes as I do benefit from roads, schools, etc., but I do have a problem with a lot of the wasteful ways in which tax money is spent. We could all benefit from some efficiency, improved budgeting, and controlled spending on the government level.
No doubt. However, while waste and efficiency is one thing, I think we can also benefit from an examination of our national priorities.
And while it's probably not practical, I'd love to see a system where taxpayers actually had some say in where their taxes went. Imagine a system where the government took 50% of taxes to distribute as it pleased and gave the taxpayer a checklist of programs to distribute the other 50%.
In my case, the military would get nothing. Abortions for unwed mothers, on the other hand, could afford gold-plates scalpels. (Kidding ... just kidding. They'd still have to use the regular kind.)
I believe in progressive chipping in.
I have no problem doing my part to pay taxes as I do benefit from roads, schools, etc., but I do have a problem with a lot of the wasteful ways in which tax money is spent. We could all benefit from some efficiency, improved budgeting, and controlled spending on the government level.
No doubt. However, while waste and efficiency is one thing, I think we can also benefit from an examination of our national priorities.
And while it's probably not practical, I'd love to see a system where taxpayers actually had some say in where their taxes went. Imagine a system where the government took 50% of taxes to distribute as it pleased and gave the taxpayer a checklist of programs to distribute the other 50%.
In my case, the military would get nothing. Abortions for unwed mothers, on the other hand, could afford gold-plates scalpels. (Kidding ... just kidding. They'd still have to use the regular kind.)
Dr.Gargoyle
Sep 11, 06:18 AM
Do you usually carry 42" screens with you? No? That's what I thought....
It is excellent that you can play movies it on an iPod, but I hardly think that is enough to launch "screenplay". Most people want to see a movie on a large screen, not a computer or an iPod. Hence Apple need to release a Media Mac filling this gap. It could be as simple as a Mac Mini with a BTO Tv-tuner and a beefed up Frontrow.
It is excellent that you can play movies it on an iPod, but I hardly think that is enough to launch "screenplay". Most people want to see a movie on a large screen, not a computer or an iPod. Hence Apple need to release a Media Mac filling this gap. It could be as simple as a Mac Mini with a BTO Tv-tuner and a beefed up Frontrow.
iBorg20181
Jul 23, 11:14 PM
If sales are strong they put off updates, if they are slack they roll out new stuff.
This time Intel jumped the gun so Apple may take longer to respond.
You missed my entire point - Apple can't put off updates just because "sales are strong." The "other guys" (Dell, HP, Sony, etc.) upgrade to new technology as soon as they can ramp up production, and Apple won't be, and can't be, "late to the dance" with technology that they all have simultaneous access to. Particularly CPU's. Graphics chips .... well, there they may fudge a bit, especially with 2 brands to select from, but not processor upgrades.
There's no way we'll wait until "November/December," unless Intel fails to deliver Merom, as predicted. If any laptops have Merom sooner, so will Apple.
:cool:
iBorg
This time Intel jumped the gun so Apple may take longer to respond.
You missed my entire point - Apple can't put off updates just because "sales are strong." The "other guys" (Dell, HP, Sony, etc.) upgrade to new technology as soon as they can ramp up production, and Apple won't be, and can't be, "late to the dance" with technology that they all have simultaneous access to. Particularly CPU's. Graphics chips .... well, there they may fudge a bit, especially with 2 brands to select from, but not processor upgrades.
There's no way we'll wait until "November/December," unless Intel fails to deliver Merom, as predicted. If any laptops have Merom sooner, so will Apple.
:cool:
iBorg
don.keishlong
Apr 5, 03:33 PM
Some of what you mention sounds cool... but I've never Jail Broke my iPhone and it runs just fine - far from unusable. Nice that you love all the mods, but it's not for everyone. No need to insult those who choose not to JB.
I mean a car from 20 years ago runs fine if you haven't driven any other car. The internet from 10 years ago would be fine if you had never experienced todays broadband. Hell life as a virgin would be cool if you didn't know what sex was.
When you say your phone is far from unusable, its like a virgin saying life without sex is awesome.
I mean a car from 20 years ago runs fine if you haven't driven any other car. The internet from 10 years ago would be fine if you had never experienced todays broadband. Hell life as a virgin would be cool if you didn't know what sex was.
When you say your phone is far from unusable, its like a virgin saying life without sex is awesome.
Benjy91
May 4, 04:10 PM
Just preferred?
That only means an Option right? Still going to be DVD/USB Stick?
Because if it was App Store only, what about people with Leopard or earlier?
That only means an Option right? Still going to be DVD/USB Stick?
Because if it was App Store only, what about people with Leopard or earlier?
citizenzen
Apr 14, 01:48 PM
This sewing circle uses sarcasm time-to-time.
Well then ... sorry for the unwarranted needling. ;)
Well then ... sorry for the unwarranted needling. ;)
iliketyla
Mar 29, 03:29 PM
That has nothing to due with quality. It's due to low manufacturing costs.
And in many cases making software or services requires more brainpower and sophistication than making a physical product. Japan has yet to produce a world-class software company outside of video games.
So this "American products are low quality" argument just doesn't hold water any way you look at it.
What I'd like to see are some concrete examples of poor quality products that were made in America. I hear a lot of people stating that we make subpar products, but I haven't heard any examples.
I'm not defending either position, just want someone to present some evidence.
I don't think the Chrysler argument will hold up anymore seeing as how most automobiles have a foreign influence on them, so let's stray from automobiles on this one.
And in many cases making software or services requires more brainpower and sophistication than making a physical product. Japan has yet to produce a world-class software company outside of video games.
So this "American products are low quality" argument just doesn't hold water any way you look at it.
What I'd like to see are some concrete examples of poor quality products that were made in America. I hear a lot of people stating that we make subpar products, but I haven't heard any examples.
I'm not defending either position, just want someone to present some evidence.
I don't think the Chrysler argument will hold up anymore seeing as how most automobiles have a foreign influence on them, so let's stray from automobiles on this one.
No comments:
Post a Comment