Shasta
Aug 11, 09:16 AM
Damn, and I just got my new MacBook yesterday
oh well, I caught the last round of iBook updates last year, and that left me on the bleeding edge for several months. I'll see what it looks like in second place for a while.
Plus if my MacBook gets lonely and depressed he can talk to my 1st gen PowerMac G5
(God I need more RAM for the MacBook)
Shasta
oh well, I caught the last round of iBook updates last year, and that left me on the bleeding edge for several months. I'll see what it looks like in second place for a while.
Plus if my MacBook gets lonely and depressed he can talk to my 1st gen PowerMac G5
(God I need more RAM for the MacBook)
Shasta
islanders
Jul 22, 11:31 AM
Overdue? How do you figure that? If anything, the entire line is being changed faster than anyone expected. And, given the faster pace, most people have guessed that the MP will arrive at WWDC. So how can it be overdue?
When Apple announced the switch to Intel a lot of people predicted this happening sooner than what was projected. The Power Macs with G5 are the only non Intel Macs. That�s why I thought they were behind the others and overdue. The sooner this transition is over the better. I think the pros will need G5 for a while because it is stable and the Adobe software is not yet ripe enough for the Intel. There is also a demand for a desktop Intel Mac, for non pros. Some people like the open architecture and would rather buy into the future and use it for over 5 or 6 years. (just speculation)
I wonder if Apple will upgrade all models as fast as possible to expand market share and increase demand for third party apps to make the switch sooner than later?
When Apple announced the switch to Intel a lot of people predicted this happening sooner than what was projected. The Power Macs with G5 are the only non Intel Macs. That�s why I thought they were behind the others and overdue. The sooner this transition is over the better. I think the pros will need G5 for a while because it is stable and the Adobe software is not yet ripe enough for the Intel. There is also a demand for a desktop Intel Mac, for non pros. Some people like the open architecture and would rather buy into the future and use it for over 5 or 6 years. (just speculation)
I wonder if Apple will upgrade all models as fast as possible to expand market share and increase demand for third party apps to make the switch sooner than later?
iJohnHenry
May 3, 10:26 AM
I like my miles, inches, gallons, and pounds.
I like my inches in centimetres, because it seems longer, and my pounds in stones, because it seems lighter. :p
I like my inches in centimetres, because it seems longer, and my pounds in stones, because it seems lighter. :p
ThemacNub
Apr 10, 06:37 AM
48/2(9+3) Brackets first
48/2(12) Brackets first. Then division, multiplication, addition, subtraction
48/24
2
48/2(12) Brackets first. Then division, multiplication, addition, subtraction
48/24
2
wildmac
Aug 7, 09:00 PM
These sound sweet, I want one.
But it's funny how the whole Mac Pro is a killer machine but they still neglect the video cards, seriously a nVidia Geforce 7300GT.
REPEAT AFTER ME: NOT EVERYONE NEEDS A VIDEO CARD WITH 512RAM. NOT EVERYONE IS PLAYING DOOM.
Seriously, a lot of these WORKSTATIONS will never use apps that require more than that video card. Many will be headless. Why put a $350 video card in there?..
It's called CHOICE.
But it's funny how the whole Mac Pro is a killer machine but they still neglect the video cards, seriously a nVidia Geforce 7300GT.
REPEAT AFTER ME: NOT EVERYONE NEEDS A VIDEO CARD WITH 512RAM. NOT EVERYONE IS PLAYING DOOM.
Seriously, a lot of these WORKSTATIONS will never use apps that require more than that video card. Many will be headless. Why put a $350 video card in there?..
It's called CHOICE.
Bengt77
Aug 4, 06:55 PM
Sounds like someone wants an iMac Ultra! (Really final Propaganda)
All for under AU$4 Grand.
Yay! I'll take one the minute it comes out! How much is one AU$ in €? Let's see... AU$4000 is about €2400. Sounds reasonable to me. But I'm all for stretching it a bit. Let's say €2100/AU$3530. That's €400 more expensive than the current top model, which is €400 more expensive than the low-end iMac. Seems logical to me, maybe not so reasonable, but reason is soooo overrated these days! :D
Anyone else here interested in an iMac Ultra?
Anyone else have an extreme and probably unwarrented hatred of the Pentium moniker?
Yes! (And yes to c.q. about that Pentium name, too, by the way.)
All for under AU$4 Grand.
Yay! I'll take one the minute it comes out! How much is one AU$ in €? Let's see... AU$4000 is about €2400. Sounds reasonable to me. But I'm all for stretching it a bit. Let's say €2100/AU$3530. That's €400 more expensive than the current top model, which is €400 more expensive than the low-end iMac. Seems logical to me, maybe not so reasonable, but reason is soooo overrated these days! :D
Anyone else here interested in an iMac Ultra?
Anyone else have an extreme and probably unwarrented hatred of the Pentium moniker?
Yes! (And yes to c.q. about that Pentium name, too, by the way.)
LagunaSol
Apr 25, 09:04 AM
Maybe you could shed some light on this for me before I switch to a Droid. They don't track me.
LOL at Android users naive enough to think their "free" OS, funded by targeted advertising, isn't collecting user data.
LOL at Android users naive enough to think their "free" OS, funded by targeted advertising, isn't collecting user data.
HecubusPro
Sep 15, 09:03 PM
Btw, how many days does it take for the new MBPs to arrive in the Apple showrooms from the time they are announced?
Ideally, Apple likes to have them in stores, ready to buy as soon as they announce them. But that's rarely the case. Sometimes they get them in right away, sometimes they don't.
Ideally, Apple likes to have them in stores, ready to buy as soon as they announce them. But that's rarely the case. Sometimes they get them in right away, sometimes they don't.
danerh
May 7, 06:12 PM
What seems to be the standard with most services is that you get the basics for free, and pay extra for additional storage... If apple were to make anything free it would follow this same concept in some way.
Apple however is in the business of selling hardware as has been mentioned many times in this topic, and if the basic version is free, I envisage them handing out additional storage with hardware purchases.
Buy an iPhone, plug in the serial code and you get an additional 10GB of storage... Also have a mac at home, you get another 30GB, get yourself an iPad too and theres another 20GB. Pay an additional subscription and get even more as you need it. (the gb amounts aren't important in this discussion).
That way there's an additional incentive to go and stay in the apple hardware ecosystem when you're looking to buy your next gadget. Most people here no doubt already have a mac and iPhone, but there are a lot of people with one or the other and any proverbial carrot (or apple) dangling apple can do to get people to buy something with their logo on the back in this way makes sense.
And we'd all get loads of free storage!
Apple however is in the business of selling hardware as has been mentioned many times in this topic, and if the basic version is free, I envisage them handing out additional storage with hardware purchases.
Buy an iPhone, plug in the serial code and you get an additional 10GB of storage... Also have a mac at home, you get another 30GB, get yourself an iPad too and theres another 20GB. Pay an additional subscription and get even more as you need it. (the gb amounts aren't important in this discussion).
That way there's an additional incentive to go and stay in the apple hardware ecosystem when you're looking to buy your next gadget. Most people here no doubt already have a mac and iPhone, but there are a lot of people with one or the other and any proverbial carrot (or apple) dangling apple can do to get people to buy something with their logo on the back in this way makes sense.
And we'd all get loads of free storage!
Don't panic
May 5, 05:03 PM
I feel for you, lass.
nothin' a good meaty soup can't fix.
when properly prepared, goblin taste just like chicken.
nothin' a good meaty soup can't fix.
when properly prepared, goblin taste just like chicken.
appleguy123
May 3, 06:42 PM
No traps in the current room so we can leave without searching the current room.
There could be treasure here. Searching this room is guaranteed to be safe, as far as I can tell.
There could be treasure here. Searching this room is guaranteed to be safe, as far as I can tell.
jkozlow3
Mar 28, 10:24 AM
Yes, precisely. Android and other handsets are moving to Tegra 2/Orion based platforms with maybe quad core SoCs coming in Fall '11 from nVidia. An A5 equipped iPhone shipping around September would be outdated the minute it hits the shelves as far as hardware is concerned.
With Pocket Legends already reporting that gaming on Android is making them more money than on iOS and this delay in Apple's usual release schedule, it could mean that iOS gaming could lose out to Android and set the pace for future developments, just like what happened to Apple in the 80s with the rise of the PC.
While I doubt we have anything to worry about short term as iOS device owners, if they keep this up in the long term and keep losing ground to Android, it might become a problem.
The Verizon iPhone was the nail in Android's coffin. Not saying Android will go away completely, but I do believe iPhones will be as popular as iPods within a couple more years. How many people do you know without an iPod of some sort? (at least prior to the iPhone which has replaced the iPod for many)
With Pocket Legends already reporting that gaming on Android is making them more money than on iOS and this delay in Apple's usual release schedule, it could mean that iOS gaming could lose out to Android and set the pace for future developments, just like what happened to Apple in the 80s with the rise of the PC.
While I doubt we have anything to worry about short term as iOS device owners, if they keep this up in the long term and keep losing ground to Android, it might become a problem.
The Verizon iPhone was the nail in Android's coffin. Not saying Android will go away completely, but I do believe iPhones will be as popular as iPods within a couple more years. How many people do you know without an iPod of some sort? (at least prior to the iPhone which has replaced the iPod for many)
treblah
Aug 3, 12:12 AM
Merom:
Twice the Battery life.
You have said this before and it is TOTALLY WRONG if you are comparing the Merom to Yonah (http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.aspx?i=2711&p=4). The first slide is directly from Intel's Spring Developer Conference. Consistent battery does not mean 2X.
Twice the Battery life.
You have said this before and it is TOTALLY WRONG if you are comparing the Merom to Yonah (http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.aspx?i=2711&p=4). The first slide is directly from Intel's Spring Developer Conference. Consistent battery does not mean 2X.
kaboutertje
Jul 30, 05:39 AM
I'm ready to ditch my PEBL along with my RAZR if they design a easy to use stylish phone that will sync with my contacts.
A full size touchscreen but a sleek design, hmmm....
What I would like:
- 4gig for mp3's
- sync with my contacts
The rest I don't care for that much, unless they implement it really good offcourse. The camera is integrated rather well in the pebl and razr so it doesn't annoy me, but I never use it anyways (maybe because the quality is crap :) )
A full size touchscreen but a sleek design, hmmm....
What I would like:
- 4gig for mp3's
- sync with my contacts
The rest I don't care for that much, unless they implement it really good offcourse. The camera is integrated rather well in the pebl and razr so it doesn't annoy me, but I never use it anyways (maybe because the quality is crap :) )
Full of Win
Apr 18, 05:15 PM
Irrelevant. Just because I stick a Ford logo on the hood doesn't mean I can make my new Mustang look like a Porsche Carrera clone.
Industrial design is legally protected work. And should be. It doesn't matter how you price your competing product.
How is having a grid of application icons a 'protected work' on a handheld device. The first time I saw this was in the mid to late 90's, and it was not from Apple. Unless it can be shown that Apple patented square icons in a grid pattern, I don't see your point.
Industrial design is legally protected work. And should be. It doesn't matter how you price your competing product.
How is having a grid of application icons a 'protected work' on a handheld device. The first time I saw this was in the mid to late 90's, and it was not from Apple. Unless it can be shown that Apple patented square icons in a grid pattern, I don't see your point.
Eidorian
Jul 22, 01:14 PM
Thanks for the link. Your right they are all in need of an update. I assumed most of them were brand new. Wow.I just spam that link and the one to my Merom guide. Someone is bound to listen.
bedifferent
Mar 31, 12:47 AM
Yes, it's the government's fault, together with corporate America. Easy ain't it, blaming politicians and greedy CEO's? How about taking a long hard look at your own (aka The Consumer) behavior?
A) Don't make ASSumptions. I don't shop at BestBuy, Walmart or Target. I patron my local stores, I vote with my dollar. If the facts upset you so much, perhaps you should point that finger of blame and judgment around (or better yet, stop vehemently judging people period).
B) I stated WE shot ourselves in the foot, and that WE vote with our dollars
I didn't read past your first two sentences as they wreak of pretension and you took no time in reading mine but rather wrote a lengthy paragraph about how well you know me and my political beliefs, cause, well, you certainly seem to believe you do (unless, of course, you're paying Ms Cleo for information, and that would be bad, cause, well, you're voting with your dollar to a corrupt and jailed CEO). Before you judge and assume, engage in civil discourse and respect.
This is beta/unfinished software. What the hell do you expect?
'MacPilot' is a mess of multiple functions that do not replicate native API's that are always enabled for use. Wow you have to click accept? Good. Why would you want the possibility of a bunch of random garbage sent to you without your consent?
Cool story bro, I was never talking about the actual UI elements.
Wow, the level of arrogance and lack of respect on MacRumors never ceases to amaze me. Every thread, and I mean every, turns into a free for all of personal attacks and insults. Interesting that I never once insulted or disrespected any one individual, yet two responses attempt to personally attack me. Do you know me? Why is this a personal matter for you?
This is about opinions and civil discourse, not about trying to prove how smart you are or to put someone "in their place". That says more about you than me.
Last time I will address this matter unless you wish to discuss the topic without rolling eyes, assumptions on my intelligence, and overly dramatic misinterpretations on my comments (that had NOTHING to do with you - and this relates more so for the first comment quoted).
/end
A) Don't make ASSumptions. I don't shop at BestBuy, Walmart or Target. I patron my local stores, I vote with my dollar. If the facts upset you so much, perhaps you should point that finger of blame and judgment around (or better yet, stop vehemently judging people period).
B) I stated WE shot ourselves in the foot, and that WE vote with our dollars
I didn't read past your first two sentences as they wreak of pretension and you took no time in reading mine but rather wrote a lengthy paragraph about how well you know me and my political beliefs, cause, well, you certainly seem to believe you do (unless, of course, you're paying Ms Cleo for information, and that would be bad, cause, well, you're voting with your dollar to a corrupt and jailed CEO). Before you judge and assume, engage in civil discourse and respect.
This is beta/unfinished software. What the hell do you expect?
'MacPilot' is a mess of multiple functions that do not replicate native API's that are always enabled for use. Wow you have to click accept? Good. Why would you want the possibility of a bunch of random garbage sent to you without your consent?
Cool story bro, I was never talking about the actual UI elements.
Wow, the level of arrogance and lack of respect on MacRumors never ceases to amaze me. Every thread, and I mean every, turns into a free for all of personal attacks and insults. Interesting that I never once insulted or disrespected any one individual, yet two responses attempt to personally attack me. Do you know me? Why is this a personal matter for you?
This is about opinions and civil discourse, not about trying to prove how smart you are or to put someone "in their place". That says more about you than me.
Last time I will address this matter unless you wish to discuss the topic without rolling eyes, assumptions on my intelligence, and overly dramatic misinterpretations on my comments (that had NOTHING to do with you - and this relates more so for the first comment quoted).
/end
Piggie
Apr 23, 06:25 PM
Because those screens WILL look better to those normal customers. Text and graphics will look sharper, and clearer.
The iPhone screen, before the retina screen, had a higher resolution than macs. People could not see individual pixels. Despite that, ask any Tom Dick or Harry on the street, and they will be unequivocal that the Retina screen is far better looking than the 3GS screens.
The iPhone, before the current model had a screen res of 320 x 480
The first iMac, made 13 years ago in 1998 (the G3) had a screen res of 1024x768 the same as an iPad2 they are making today.
The first Apple Mac in 1984, 27 years ago had a screen res of 512�342 on a black and white screen.
I don't know where you get your statement than the "iPhone had a higher resolution than macs"
The iPhone screen, before the retina screen, had a higher resolution than macs. People could not see individual pixels. Despite that, ask any Tom Dick or Harry on the street, and they will be unequivocal that the Retina screen is far better looking than the 3GS screens.
The iPhone, before the current model had a screen res of 320 x 480
The first iMac, made 13 years ago in 1998 (the G3) had a screen res of 1024x768 the same as an iPad2 they are making today.
The first Apple Mac in 1984, 27 years ago had a screen res of 512�342 on a black and white screen.
I don't know where you get your statement than the "iPhone had a higher resolution than macs"
Poudresteve
Jul 21, 02:17 PM
This is not what I needed to maintain a productive Friday afternoon! My excitement level was already at "11" with new Mac Pro's coming out. I'll have to see what else I can cut out of the ol' budget to get all of these new toys... :D
archipellago
Apr 26, 04:34 PM
That's a narrow and erroneous view. Are there some parallels? Sure. There are however some important differences.
First, market share is not anywhere near as important as revenue share. Apple is absolutely trouncing Google and everyone else in this area.
Second, developers are not making any money on Android, as it's user base appears to be comprised of spend-thrifts. It doesn't matter how many people you have using the platform, if developers can't sell applications that well then the lure isn't as strong. Combine that with the exceedingly frustrating fragmentation and inconsistent experience from device to device that makes the task of even writing an Android application that much harder, and it is less appealing still. Will that slow Android down? No, as there will always be customers for the Wal-Mart of mobile operating systems. It does, however limit them as any sort of real 'threat'.
Third, let us not forget that absolute whoring out of hardware at 2 or even 3 for 1 deals is a huge factor in this surge in usage. It's quite easy to inflate your numbers when you hand stuff out for free. Again, in reference to my previous point, they really aren't doing the platform any favors long term, as it will bring down the revenue curve.
Fourth, these numbers are for the US only. The worldwide picture is very different.
Why wouldn't he? iPod touch and iPad run the exact same mobile OS. Just because there is no real competition to either of these devices in the Android space, doesn't devalue their presence. Truthfully, I always take a skeptical stance on the motives of any 'report' on mobile OS usage which conveniently leaves these devices out. Smacks of fomenting, it does.
Yeah, cause that's been working out really well for them so far. Look, you can have your irrational "I hate Apple cause they are cool, and I rail against anything popular, cause I'M NOT A CONFORMIST!!!" BS all you want to. It doesn't change for one second the fact that Apple innovates, and everyone else imitates and tries to make all the money they can on the back of Apple's IP.
Personally, I'd say enjoy it while you can. Apple has been establishing precedent with its patent litigation against smaller targets. Now they are taking on a medium-sized one in Samsung, and once that victory is complete, Google will be the next to fall.
Look, I'm all for good old fashioned competition. But somebody besides Apple has to step up to the plate and actually create something. This whole me-too copycat crap is wearing thin.
I have no clue how to respond to this tripe.
The last time someone was this wrong, he was waving a piece of paper and calling it 'peace in our time'
First, market share is not anywhere near as important as revenue share. Apple is absolutely trouncing Google and everyone else in this area.
Second, developers are not making any money on Android, as it's user base appears to be comprised of spend-thrifts. It doesn't matter how many people you have using the platform, if developers can't sell applications that well then the lure isn't as strong. Combine that with the exceedingly frustrating fragmentation and inconsistent experience from device to device that makes the task of even writing an Android application that much harder, and it is less appealing still. Will that slow Android down? No, as there will always be customers for the Wal-Mart of mobile operating systems. It does, however limit them as any sort of real 'threat'.
Third, let us not forget that absolute whoring out of hardware at 2 or even 3 for 1 deals is a huge factor in this surge in usage. It's quite easy to inflate your numbers when you hand stuff out for free. Again, in reference to my previous point, they really aren't doing the platform any favors long term, as it will bring down the revenue curve.
Fourth, these numbers are for the US only. The worldwide picture is very different.
Why wouldn't he? iPod touch and iPad run the exact same mobile OS. Just because there is no real competition to either of these devices in the Android space, doesn't devalue their presence. Truthfully, I always take a skeptical stance on the motives of any 'report' on mobile OS usage which conveniently leaves these devices out. Smacks of fomenting, it does.
Yeah, cause that's been working out really well for them so far. Look, you can have your irrational "I hate Apple cause they are cool, and I rail against anything popular, cause I'M NOT A CONFORMIST!!!" BS all you want to. It doesn't change for one second the fact that Apple innovates, and everyone else imitates and tries to make all the money they can on the back of Apple's IP.
Personally, I'd say enjoy it while you can. Apple has been establishing precedent with its patent litigation against smaller targets. Now they are taking on a medium-sized one in Samsung, and once that victory is complete, Google will be the next to fall.
Look, I'm all for good old fashioned competition. But somebody besides Apple has to step up to the plate and actually create something. This whole me-too copycat crap is wearing thin.
I have no clue how to respond to this tripe.
The last time someone was this wrong, he was waving a piece of paper and calling it 'peace in our time'
Vice92
Apr 10, 05:59 PM
Math is a language we engineers, scientists, economists, etc... are fluent in.
To us this is not-ideal delivery method, but it has a definite meaning.
Looking at the thread, I think there is a clear dividing line. Native math speakers: scientists, engineers, programmers, etc... say 288. Others who are effectively non-native speakers may interpret 2 due to their lack of fluency.
B
I don't see how you can say that. None the less how anyone can confidently answer this question.
You arrive at 288 by multiplying 48/2 * (9+3), but that is assuming multiplication is the implied operator.
The way the equation is written, this question simply does not make sense. Parenthesis or something similar are needed to make this equation solvable.
You say you are fluent in mathematics, etc, but fluency requires proper syntax, which the equation simply does not have. If a professional gave me this problem to solve I would call them an idiot.
To us this is not-ideal delivery method, but it has a definite meaning.
Looking at the thread, I think there is a clear dividing line. Native math speakers: scientists, engineers, programmers, etc... say 288. Others who are effectively non-native speakers may interpret 2 due to their lack of fluency.
B
I don't see how you can say that. None the less how anyone can confidently answer this question.
You arrive at 288 by multiplying 48/2 * (9+3), but that is assuming multiplication is the implied operator.
The way the equation is written, this question simply does not make sense. Parenthesis or something similar are needed to make this equation solvable.
You say you are fluent in mathematics, etc, but fluency requires proper syntax, which the equation simply does not have. If a professional gave me this problem to solve I would call them an idiot.
Thunderhawks
Mar 29, 03:46 PM
You rang? :p
No, it was the echo:-)
No, it was the echo:-)
milo
May 4, 03:39 PM
What I don't understand is even if it's distributed through the Mac App Store, does Apple expect us to burn it on dvd or make a bootable usb?
I don't know if every mac user will even be able to do that, this may work for those looking to upgrade, but a fresh install will require dvd/usb..
There's no reason Apple couldn't make creating a bootable recovery disk as easy as the installation itself. Make it a menu item in the install software, then ask the user to insert the blank disk.
So will this mean waiting in long lines and trying to beat scalpers?
For something that's also available as a download? Extremely unlikely.
what makes you think that you can copy it to a USB drive or disc? I have disc for Tiger, Leopard, and Snow Leopard. None of those disc can be copied, some of them can only be used on their original machine (or the exact model). the past 3 OSes can't be copied, and so far there's nothing to suggest we can just make backup copies of Lion.
The new version will be a download as opposed to the previous releases on disk. That's what makes me think it can be copied to other disks. And you probably can copy any of the previous OS install disks, I'm not sure why you assume it's impossible.
I don't know if every mac user will even be able to do that, this may work for those looking to upgrade, but a fresh install will require dvd/usb..
There's no reason Apple couldn't make creating a bootable recovery disk as easy as the installation itself. Make it a menu item in the install software, then ask the user to insert the blank disk.
So will this mean waiting in long lines and trying to beat scalpers?
For something that's also available as a download? Extremely unlikely.
what makes you think that you can copy it to a USB drive or disc? I have disc for Tiger, Leopard, and Snow Leopard. None of those disc can be copied, some of them can only be used on their original machine (or the exact model). the past 3 OSes can't be copied, and so far there's nothing to suggest we can just make backup copies of Lion.
The new version will be a download as opposed to the previous releases on disk. That's what makes me think it can be copied to other disks. And you probably can copy any of the previous OS install disks, I'm not sure why you assume it's impossible.
shompa
Aug 7, 04:05 PM
Anyone drop one of these in their cart and press order yet?
Yepp.
Did order a quad 3gzh.
Estimated delivery date 11 september :(.
I wanted this to be the ultimate computer.
But no!
No SLI grafik.
Not even drivers for a Nvidia 7950 card.
If it had it, it would also be a good windows gaming computer.
Also, no Creative audio card.
So I still need a playstationsWindows and a work computer.
:(
Yepp.
Did order a quad 3gzh.
Estimated delivery date 11 september :(.
I wanted this to be the ultimate computer.
But no!
No SLI grafik.
Not even drivers for a Nvidia 7950 card.
If it had it, it would also be a good windows gaming computer.
Also, no Creative audio card.
So I still need a playstationsWindows and a work computer.
:(
No comments:
Post a Comment