
~Shard~
Sep 12, 03:45 PM
The iTV sounds great, however if I buy one I�m going to want to be able to utilize it to its fullest extent. And right now, living outside of the US, without access to TV shows on iTunes, let alone the new movies, it just doesn�t make sense for me to buy one. Hopefully things will change next year by the time it is released, but I have my doubts. As a result, there are going to have to be some other amazing features incorporated into this box to convince me to buy it, otherwise I�m not shelling out good money for a STB which Apple has essentially crippled for me. :cool:

i_am_a_cow
Mar 20, 02:00 PM
Thankyou Jerry!
alex_ant
Oct 9, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by Abercrombieboy
Alex ant has made some good points on why Macs are a poor buy. They are so much slower and less stable then PC's these days according to everything I read.
Macs aren't a poor buy, though... they're only a poor buy if your primary concern is maximum performance. I doubt they're any less stable than PCs. They are slower, but in my experience they are much more enjoyable computers to use. You will have to weigh your need for performance against this.
Alex ant has made some good points on why Macs are a poor buy. They are so much slower and less stable then PC's these days according to everything I read.
Macs aren't a poor buy, though... they're only a poor buy if your primary concern is maximum performance. I doubt they're any less stable than PCs. They are slower, but in my experience they are much more enjoyable computers to use. You will have to weigh your need for performance against this.
The Final Cut
Feb 28, 12:49 AM
Android to Surpass iPhone in Market Share by 2012?
That's the second insanely improbable hypothesis for that year:)
That's the second insanely improbable hypothesis for that year:)
Th3Crow
Apr 21, 09:13 AM
Interesting and "generic" use by Apple execs. This could be used against them, as compared to saying that our "App Store" is the largest of any of the available applications stores. Subtle, but significant.
Oooooh...quite right. A very astute observation.
Oooooh...quite right. A very astute observation.
AidenShaw
Oct 8, 02:06 PM
I thought so. This is the first time I have seen the term "Multi-Threaded Workflow" and I thank you for that.
Yes, I was thinking of your workflow when I said that. :D
I'm glad to see you confirm my suspicion that the 2.33GHz Dual Clovertown Mac Pro will in fact be faster than the 2.66 or 3GHz Dual Woodie when someone knows how they work simultaneously with a set of applications that can use all those cores a lot of the time.
IBM's Blue Gene supercomputer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Gene) is fundamentally based on the fact that for parallel tasks you can essentially add all of the "MHz" together, and that lots and lots of slower CPUs will beat a much smaller number of much faster CPUs.
In the case of the current dual and quad core chips, you double the number of cores - but the cores aren't that much slower than the earlier chips. It's a win for lots of workloads, and not much of a loss for a completely single-threaded task.
Yes, I was thinking of your workflow when I said that. :D
I'm glad to see you confirm my suspicion that the 2.33GHz Dual Clovertown Mac Pro will in fact be faster than the 2.66 or 3GHz Dual Woodie when someone knows how they work simultaneously with a set of applications that can use all those cores a lot of the time.
IBM's Blue Gene supercomputer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Gene) is fundamentally based on the fact that for parallel tasks you can essentially add all of the "MHz" together, and that lots and lots of slower CPUs will beat a much smaller number of much faster CPUs.
In the case of the current dual and quad core chips, you double the number of cores - but the cores aren't that much slower than the earlier chips. It's a win for lots of workloads, and not much of a loss for a completely single-threaded task.
Oletros
Apr 20, 05:26 PM
It will be interesting 10 years from now to compare the number of viruses that will have occurred on android vs. iOS.
Zero on both platforms? If they exists in 2.021
Zero on both platforms? If they exists in 2.021
appleguy123
Mar 24, 08:35 PM
I didn't realize that the Catholic Church had an irrational fear of homosexuals. Since the Catholic Church has an irrational fear of homosexuals could you please help me figure out the growing outreach (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Courage_International) to homosexuals?
You can't be serious.
We don't fear homosexuals. We just want them to live alone for all of their lives, as it is what God would have wanted.
An 'outreach to homosexuals' would be trying to find common ground between your religion and their orientation. Not sentencing them to a life of chastity to please your loving god.
Would you also live your entire life chastely, actively cursing every lustful thought you have(as jesus said if you lust you have already committed adultery in your heart)? It would show that you can empathize with the action plan your church advocates for homosexuals.
You can't be serious.
We don't fear homosexuals. We just want them to live alone for all of their lives, as it is what God would have wanted.
An 'outreach to homosexuals' would be trying to find common ground between your religion and their orientation. Not sentencing them to a life of chastity to please your loving god.
Would you also live your entire life chastely, actively cursing every lustful thought you have(as jesus said if you lust you have already committed adultery in your heart)? It would show that you can empathize with the action plan your church advocates for homosexuals.
Blipp
Apr 13, 08:11 AM
I can't believe how many of you are writing off this app already after it's debut announcement which only covered new features and a new UI design. We essentially know NOTHING yet beyond it's new tricks, none of us have actually sat down and experienced a workflow with it. I haven't seen a single thing to suggest that features have been removed entirely or that the rest fo studio is now dead. At the absolute least Apple would put the rest of FCS2 onto the app store individually in their current form and from the attitudes I've seen in here most of you would love that they didn't update them in the least.
I too am suspicious about this release but I'm also optimistic. I don't assume that just because they didn't mention this or that that it must now be dead. We got our 64bit FCP that we've been dying for, we get background rendering and a wider range of native codecs (though we don't know which ones yet), and that all sounds like good news to me so far. I don't know what to expect from the rest of Studio as it'd be hard to imagine them revamping the entire suite unless they are truly being consumed by FCPX. If FCPX is able to switch between "Color" mode and "Motion" mode then so long as those modes remain full featured with a consistent UI across the board (something that has plagued the suite for a long time) then I can only see that as an upgrade. We'll find out more soon enough I'm sure.
If this truly does turn into what everyone is afraid of then oh well, I'm confident in my abilities to be able to adapt to an Avid or Adobe workflow. This isn't going to hold me back or ruin my parade.
I too am suspicious about this release but I'm also optimistic. I don't assume that just because they didn't mention this or that that it must now be dead. We got our 64bit FCP that we've been dying for, we get background rendering and a wider range of native codecs (though we don't know which ones yet), and that all sounds like good news to me so far. I don't know what to expect from the rest of Studio as it'd be hard to imagine them revamping the entire suite unless they are truly being consumed by FCPX. If FCPX is able to switch between "Color" mode and "Motion" mode then so long as those modes remain full featured with a consistent UI across the board (something that has plagued the suite for a long time) then I can only see that as an upgrade. We'll find out more soon enough I'm sure.
If this truly does turn into what everyone is afraid of then oh well, I'm confident in my abilities to be able to adapt to an Avid or Adobe workflow. This isn't going to hold me back or ruin my parade.
Clive At Five
Sep 20, 10:08 PM
Umm, it's called a VCR. Do you remember when that was considered illegal when it first came out? Or the cassette tape?
OMG, you have a VCR still?! What's it like?
teehee.
Only kidding.
Still, I don't think it's legal to videotape TV broadcasts of any form. That's why you have to pay for it on iTunes. If you want to watch it at your liesure, you have to pay for that liesure. Whether that means finding (and putting up with) a VCR and taping it (illegally) or footing the $6 for the last 3 episodes of Lost it's the price someone has to pay.
-Clive
OMG, you have a VCR still?! What's it like?
teehee.
Only kidding.
Still, I don't think it's legal to videotape TV broadcasts of any form. That's why you have to pay for it on iTunes. If you want to watch it at your liesure, you have to pay for that liesure. Whether that means finding (and putting up with) a VCR and taping it (illegally) or footing the $6 for the last 3 episodes of Lost it's the price someone has to pay.
-Clive

joepunk
Mar 15, 12:52 AM
Someone has a Geiger Counter reading set up in Tokyo (I assume that is the location). If someone can explain this that would be wonderful.
LINK (http://park18.wakwak.com/~weather/geiger_index.html)
http://park18.wakwak.com/~weather/uploaddata/radiation.jpg (http://park18.wakwak.com/~weather/uploaddata/radiation.jpg)
LINK (http://park18.wakwak.com/~weather/geiger_index.html)
http://park18.wakwak.com/~weather/uploaddata/radiation.jpg (http://park18.wakwak.com/~weather/uploaddata/radiation.jpg)

drsmithy
Sep 26, 09:55 PM
I've said this before though: Apple, and other devs, need to make use of parallel processing. A handful of apps will use 2 procs / cores, but it's a wasteland above that. All these cores are great for working with multiple apps simultaneously, but I want to use 5-6 cores on one app. Make that possible and I'm happy.
My only hope is now that multi-core systems have gone mainstream that someone (cough -M$-cough) will make multi-processor aware apps "fashionable" and extend the trend.
/rant
The problem isn't making applications more "multiprocessor aware" (although that is an extremely difficult thing to do well), the problem is simply that the vast majority of applications spend 95% of their time idling. So, no matter how "aware" your app is, it won't make it do nothing any faster ;).
Added to that, not all problems have parrallelisable solutions.
My only hope is now that multi-core systems have gone mainstream that someone (cough -M$-cough) will make multi-processor aware apps "fashionable" and extend the trend.
/rant
The problem isn't making applications more "multiprocessor aware" (although that is an extremely difficult thing to do well), the problem is simply that the vast majority of applications spend 95% of their time idling. So, no matter how "aware" your app is, it won't make it do nothing any faster ;).
Added to that, not all problems have parrallelisable solutions.
RedTomato
Mar 15, 06:17 PM
Continuous live timestamped text based updates:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-12307698
(may be a different link tomorrow, but check on the front page for the current link to live updates)
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/blog/2011/mar/15/japan-earthquake-and-tsunami-japan
(link changes each day, check on front page for the current day's link)
BBC is slightly slower but more accurate (but they beat the Guardian when announcing the 4th explosion).
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-12307698
(may be a different link tomorrow, but check on the front page for the current link to live updates)
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/blog/2011/mar/15/japan-earthquake-and-tsunami-japan
(link changes each day, check on front page for the current day's link)
BBC is slightly slower but more accurate (but they beat the Guardian when announcing the 4th explosion).
Liquorpuki
Mar 13, 08:11 PM
did you actually read my post? Centralized solar would just be one part.
Yeah I did. Everything you mentioned except tidal is intermittent, cannot be used for base load, and is subject to the grid energy storage problem that I mentioned and you said an 8 hour "battery" will solve (which it won't). Tidal can be used for base load but has a crappy generating capacity, no way could it cover the base load for the entire US.
So basically your plan would cause a lot of blackouts and upset a lot of people.
Yeah I did. Everything you mentioned except tidal is intermittent, cannot be used for base load, and is subject to the grid energy storage problem that I mentioned and you said an 8 hour "battery" will solve (which it won't). Tidal can be used for base load but has a crappy generating capacity, no way could it cover the base load for the entire US.
So basically your plan would cause a lot of blackouts and upset a lot of people.
Rt&Dzine
Apr 22, 11:09 PM
I would think most atheists don't give it much thought, like I don't spend a whole lot of time thinking about unicorns or orbiting teapots. I doubt anyone could come up with proof of non-existence that was convincing.
Agnostics may be giving it more thought or perhaps spending more time thinking about these things.
Yep. Now I can't get the idea of orbiting teapots out of my mind.
Agnostics may be giving it more thought or perhaps spending more time thinking about these things.
Yep. Now I can't get the idea of orbiting teapots out of my mind.
skunk
Mar 15, 07:35 PM
The way to fill our energy needs is a death by a thousand cuts, which will include conservation and new technologies.I would describe that as life by a thousand stitches. :)
If they really can afford to take them off the grid, then why are they running? Perhaps they are selling the energy to other countries and don't want to lose the revenue? Or maybe the German government is unwilling to remove a domestic power-producing option in favor of fuels they have to import from elsewhere?I think it's more likely that being in possession of valid nuclear technology is of great import to the self-image of the German State.
If they really can afford to take them off the grid, then why are they running? Perhaps they are selling the energy to other countries and don't want to lose the revenue? Or maybe the German government is unwilling to remove a domestic power-producing option in favor of fuels they have to import from elsewhere?I think it's more likely that being in possession of valid nuclear technology is of great import to the self-image of the German State.

SolarJ
Apr 6, 02:21 PM
Try holding down SHIFT and clicking the green plus button it should full screen any app.
Try Divvy. Its awesome
Try Divvy. Its awesome
NebulaClash
Apr 28, 08:25 AM
What are tablets going to overtake? I just dont get it... Desktops? Laptops?
I can see hybrid solutions, like the ASUS EEE Tablet. But they are not NEARLY powerful enough to run certain applications. I just dont see large businesses, such as the government replacing laptop, and desktop with tablets!? not in th next 10 years DEFINATELY.
Got it, it's a definite prediction.
What are tablets going to overtake? Yes, desktops and latops. In 2020 the average person will buy a tablet as their dominant computer. Techies will still use traditional technology such as PCs, and specialists will continue to do so, but since there are FAR more average persons then such specialists and techies, the number of tablets sold in 2020 will exceed the number of traditional PCs. That's my prediction.
I can see hybrid solutions, like the ASUS EEE Tablet. But they are not NEARLY powerful enough to run certain applications. I just dont see large businesses, such as the government replacing laptop, and desktop with tablets!? not in th next 10 years DEFINATELY.
Got it, it's a definite prediction.
What are tablets going to overtake? Yes, desktops and latops. In 2020 the average person will buy a tablet as their dominant computer. Techies will still use traditional technology such as PCs, and specialists will continue to do so, but since there are FAR more average persons then such specialists and techies, the number of tablets sold in 2020 will exceed the number of traditional PCs. That's my prediction.
AlBDamned
Aug 29, 03:25 PM
That's kind of my point - the UK committed (or was committed) to unrealistic goals and will fail to meet them. Anyone can commit to anything - actually delivering on those commitments is completely different
Well that's more to do with Blair being uninformed and making decisions because he likes to sound better than he is. If Blair hadn't been a pillock and stuck to the realistic, achievable timeline that everyone else stuck to, then it would have been achievable. Why he said we'd double those targets is beyond most people except the monkey labour spin doctor that suggested it.
What the Greenpeace report is saying, is that Apple don't even have a strategy (timeline) for restricting material use (bar legal restrictions) and that is a black mark for the company when compared to a company that does. it's doing what it has to do, not what it should be doing if it wants to be considered the best. Dell is similar to this but is further along.
This is also related to Apple's almost nazi-like paranoia about secrecy which is harming its reputation on several fronts.
As has already been asked on this thread, why couldn't Apple release details of all the materials is uses or equivalent detail to other manufacturers? Why couldn't it be pro-active and understand the impact it could have (like putting it up at the top of this report)? perhaps because it's not actually as all conquering/superior and clever as it likes people to think?
Well that's more to do with Blair being uninformed and making decisions because he likes to sound better than he is. If Blair hadn't been a pillock and stuck to the realistic, achievable timeline that everyone else stuck to, then it would have been achievable. Why he said we'd double those targets is beyond most people except the monkey labour spin doctor that suggested it.
What the Greenpeace report is saying, is that Apple don't even have a strategy (timeline) for restricting material use (bar legal restrictions) and that is a black mark for the company when compared to a company that does. it's doing what it has to do, not what it should be doing if it wants to be considered the best. Dell is similar to this but is further along.
This is also related to Apple's almost nazi-like paranoia about secrecy which is harming its reputation on several fronts.
As has already been asked on this thread, why couldn't Apple release details of all the materials is uses or equivalent detail to other manufacturers? Why couldn't it be pro-active and understand the impact it could have (like putting it up at the top of this report)? perhaps because it's not actually as all conquering/superior and clever as it likes people to think?
UnixMac
Oct 9, 06:08 PM
You are right, If I could get a Thinkpad T31 loaded with A GUI Unix preloaded, I would.
I am not ready to go into uncharted waters yet however....
I am not ready to go into uncharted waters yet however....
BryanLyle
May 5, 11:05 AM
They needed to do a study to figure this out?
iliketyla
Apr 20, 06:27 PM
And that's why I find it hilarious how Android enthusiasts always state how "Apple's closed garden" is a negative element, when it's the unregulated nature of Android that degrades the experience.
Please explain to me how I am experiencing a "degraded" experience on my current Android phone?
I can do everything your iPhone can, plus tether at no additional cost and download any song I want for free.
Ease of use in Android is just as simple as an iPhone, with the ability to customize IF YOU SO PLEASE.
So if you would, cut the degraded experience crap.
Please explain to me how I am experiencing a "degraded" experience on my current Android phone?
I can do everything your iPhone can, plus tether at no additional cost and download any song I want for free.
Ease of use in Android is just as simple as an iPhone, with the ability to customize IF YOU SO PLEASE.
So if you would, cut the degraded experience crap.
CallmeKenneth
Sep 20, 07:20 AM
This is just one of those things where we have no idea if it'll catch on until people start buying it (or not, as the case may be!). With anything else Apple have brought out (e.g. iPod) the need has been fairly obvious and you could tell that it was going to be a minor hit at least. I don't feel the same way about iTV. To me it just feels like *yet another* silver/grey box to stick under my TV, adding one more cable to the countless ones already there...
________________________
Alternative Mac History
Mactimewarp (http://www.mactimewarp.com)
________________________
Alternative Mac History
Mactimewarp (http://www.mactimewarp.com)
econgeek
Apr 12, 10:37 PM
They should have just called this iMovie pro, because that's what it is. So, Apple Color is left to die the death of Shake, huh? Wow, crazy.
I think you missed the color correction on ingest, non-destructive color correction, and one-click color correction feature announcements. Color is not dead, it is just no longer a separate app. The entire app is re-written with color matching integrate to the app, and color correction as well, it sounds like.
So this is basically a jazzed up Final Cut Express and the pros have been shown the door. Why am I not shocked about this. :mad:
This is what you wanted to believe and so this is all you see. Since people were saying essentially the same thing before anything had been announced, you're not going to be getting much sympathy.
I think you missed the color correction on ingest, non-destructive color correction, and one-click color correction feature announcements. Color is not dead, it is just no longer a separate app. The entire app is re-written with color matching integrate to the app, and color correction as well, it sounds like.
So this is basically a jazzed up Final Cut Express and the pros have been shown the door. Why am I not shocked about this. :mad:
This is what you wanted to believe and so this is all you see. Since people were saying essentially the same thing before anything had been announced, you're not going to be getting much sympathy.
No comments:
Post a Comment