kdarling
Apr 19, 08:24 PM
@kdarling: look up.. up... 4 posts up.. There you go.
lol... thanks! Dunno how I missed that.
--
Silly thought for the evening: Apple should be glad that Samsung is copying their old 3GS instead of the new iPhone 4.
After all, only one company at a time should be paying style homage to old Leicas, right?
lol... thanks! Dunno how I missed that.
--
Silly thought for the evening: Apple should be glad that Samsung is copying their old 3GS instead of the new iPhone 4.
After all, only one company at a time should be paying style homage to old Leicas, right?
handsome pete
Apr 6, 12:42 PM
What businesses out there can just switch operating systems on a whim because they latest and greatest came out for another platform?
Not that I disagree with what he said, but there are a good share of big post houses that had switched from Avid to FCP or vice versa. Also, from Avid/FCP/other to Adobe.
Not on a whim of course, but it's certainly not crazy to think companies will switch platforms if a better solution is out there.
Not that I disagree with what he said, but there are a good share of big post houses that had switched from Avid to FCP or vice versa. Also, from Avid/FCP/other to Adobe.
Not on a whim of course, but it's certainly not crazy to think companies will switch platforms if a better solution is out there.

Jamvan
Nov 29, 11:37 AM
I apologize as I have not read through all the comments as yet but if this goes through, how long before we see the request for these types of fees for all PC/Mac sales as those are used to download and listen to music as well?
deconai
Aug 11, 03:48 PM
No, not EVERYONE. I own 4 cell phones. By your logic, I would be counted as 4 people.
I suppose you would be by the cell company.
I suppose you would be by the cell company.
Nuck81
Nov 24, 08:49 PM
I didn't start to care for the game until I changed the gas and brake to the right and left trigger instead of the awkward right stick. Once i did that the racing really started to feel better.
It's incredibly easy. Even with a severely underpowered car in some races I have yet to lose at the default difficulty.
Also Im disappointed in the graphics. I really don't think it looks as good as nfs shift, which for the time being is still my favourite racer this gen.
It's incredibly easy. Even with a severely underpowered car in some races I have yet to lose at the default difficulty.
Also Im disappointed in the graphics. I really don't think it looks as good as nfs shift, which for the time being is still my favourite racer this gen.
Huntn
Mar 18, 08:59 PM
Back in Ron Paul warned us about Barack Obama and the fact that his foreign policy would almost certainly essentially mirror that of the Democrats and Neo-Cons for the past 60 years.
I am very unhappy that Obama did not get us out of a state of War. Which pacifist do you plan on voting for this next time around?
I am very unhappy that Obama did not get us out of a state of War. Which pacifist do you plan on voting for this next time around?

bibbz
Jun 9, 01:34 PM
WOW Awesome Thank you so much for the info and the fast response.
I like employees that are on message boards like this and respond to questions like these and taking the time out of their day. Thanks.
So just to make sure. If I do go along with the Trade In on Tuesday I don't have to give them my phone then? when I go back to pick it up then they will take it?
Thanks
NP bro, glad i could help!
Don't do your trade in Tuesday, if you do, yes you have to give them the phone right then. Just have it appraised Tuesday so you know how much you can get for it. You want to actually do it they day you get the iPhone4 and give them your old one.
Now if you are afraid the values will drop as launch day gets closer and you want to be locked in with the quote you get Tuesday, then you will have to give it to them on Tuesday.
I like employees that are on message boards like this and respond to questions like these and taking the time out of their day. Thanks.
So just to make sure. If I do go along with the Trade In on Tuesday I don't have to give them my phone then? when I go back to pick it up then they will take it?
Thanks
NP bro, glad i could help!
Don't do your trade in Tuesday, if you do, yes you have to give them the phone right then. Just have it appraised Tuesday so you know how much you can get for it. You want to actually do it they day you get the iPhone4 and give them your old one.
Now if you are afraid the values will drop as launch day gets closer and you want to be locked in with the quote you get Tuesday, then you will have to give it to them on Tuesday.
redshift1
Apr 6, 02:08 PM
No need to take shots at the Xoom - it's actually nice little device.
Doesn't have the best polish software-wise... but to act like it is THAT far off from the iPad2 is lunacy.
Indeed it is!!!!!
Doesn't have the best polish software-wise... but to act like it is THAT far off from the iPad2 is lunacy.
Indeed it is!!!!!
aafuss1
Aug 5, 11:40 PM
I agree. In fact, I was going to post the same thing. I was all set to be disappointed by the keynote until I read a new Forbes article on the topic. They are expecting some pretty amazing things; things that will divert media attention away from Apple's embarrassing financial scandal.
-Squire
P.S. How about seamless MSN/Yahoo! Messenger support in iChat?\
<edit>
http://www.forbes.com/home/technology/2006/08/04/ipod-jobs-zune_cx_ck_rr_0804apple.html
That would be good-as Microsoft and Yahoo have made the messegner software work with each other-Apple could partner with Yahoo for official protocol support in iChat in Leopard
-Squire
P.S. How about seamless MSN/Yahoo! Messenger support in iChat?\
<edit>
http://www.forbes.com/home/technology/2006/08/04/ipod-jobs-zune_cx_ck_rr_0804apple.html
That would be good-as Microsoft and Yahoo have made the messegner software work with each other-Apple could partner with Yahoo for official protocol support in iChat in Leopard
Joe2000
Aug 6, 06:08 AM
What about TV Show downloads in the UK? Pleeeeaaaase!!! :rolleyes:
Looking foward to these Mac Pros though, my Dad is definatley going to buy one. :D
Thanks, Joe.
Looking foward to these Mac Pros though, my Dad is definatley going to buy one. :D
Thanks, Joe.
70355
Aug 7, 05:24 PM
Ahh, but that was a different situation. In that case, Steve said that, but was dependent on IBM to make it come true.
Did someone put a gun to Jobs' head and make him use IBM?
Did someone put a gun to Jobs' head and make him use IBM?
mlrproducts
Nov 29, 10:34 AM
I think it is a Great idea!!!
Apple will give Universal $1 from every iPod sold, since the iPod is used to store stolen Universal tracks.
In turn, Universal will give Apple $5 from every overpriced CD sold because they're only buying that CD so they can rip it into iTunes/iPod ecosystem.
Apple will give Universal $1 from every iPod sold, since the iPod is used to store stolen Universal tracks.
In turn, Universal will give Apple $5 from every overpriced CD sold because they're only buying that CD so they can rip it into iTunes/iPod ecosystem.
yg17
Apr 28, 02:08 PM
I figured he was born in the United States, as Hawaii is a state and was when he was born there. Now this McCain guy, he was not born in the United States, he was born in the Panama Canal Zone, which was a US territory or protectorate, so it still counts. Maybe if he had won the presidency, someone would have made a big deal about it too. I doubt it.
The fact that no one made a big deal about McCain proves that birtherism is rooted in racism.
Here you have a guy who was born outside the US, with questionable eligibility to be president and no one cared. Do I think McCain was eligible? Yes, I think he should be, as should anyone else who is born outside of the US to American parents - should someone be disqualified because their American parents who live in Buffalo were eating dinner at a restaurant across Niagara Falls in Canada when the mother went into labor? No. Of course not. McCain is eligible, but, the constitution is very vague on who is a natural born citizen. McCain's eligibility should have been taken to SCOTUS so the natural born citizen cause in the Constitution can be interpreted and cleared up once and for all. But no one made a big deal about it. Then you have Obama, who was born in Hawaii, who released a birth certificate, who had birth announcements in the Honolulu newspaper, and for whom there wasn't a single shred of evidence to suggest he was born anywhere else besides Hawaii, and people are making false accusations that he was born in Kenya or somehow not eligible to be president. Is it just a coincidence that he was the first black candidate? I think not. Birtherism = racism. It's as simple as that.
The fact that no one made a big deal about McCain proves that birtherism is rooted in racism.
Here you have a guy who was born outside the US, with questionable eligibility to be president and no one cared. Do I think McCain was eligible? Yes, I think he should be, as should anyone else who is born outside of the US to American parents - should someone be disqualified because their American parents who live in Buffalo were eating dinner at a restaurant across Niagara Falls in Canada when the mother went into labor? No. Of course not. McCain is eligible, but, the constitution is very vague on who is a natural born citizen. McCain's eligibility should have been taken to SCOTUS so the natural born citizen cause in the Constitution can be interpreted and cleared up once and for all. But no one made a big deal about it. Then you have Obama, who was born in Hawaii, who released a birth certificate, who had birth announcements in the Honolulu newspaper, and for whom there wasn't a single shred of evidence to suggest he was born anywhere else besides Hawaii, and people are making false accusations that he was born in Kenya or somehow not eligible to be president. Is it just a coincidence that he was the first black candidate? I think not. Birtherism = racism. It's as simple as that.
Silentwave
Jul 14, 05:34 PM
It's worth noting that Intel has shipped P4-series chips at 3.4GHz. But the new chips (Woodcrest and Conroe) aren't being sold at speeds above 3GHz.
Pay attention. The answer is "sooner than you think".
Quarter 4 this year will see the X6900 conroe extreme at 3.2GHz.
So when will we start seeing 8 chips in a computer? Perhaps this will become the new measurement...not processor speeds, but the number of processors (or cores).
There have already been technology briefings from Intel that talk about 4-core chips in early and 32-core chips by 2010. Similar offerings are expected from AMD.
And the Xeon-MP series processors (which will, of course, eventually get all this tech) are designed with 8-way SMP in mind. A theoretical Xeon-MP based on this 32-core tech would produce a system with 256 cores. Of course, it is doubtful that anything other than a large server would be able to take proper advantage of this, so I wouldn't ever expect to find one on a desktop.
8 core should be out sometime between end of 2006 and beginning of 2007 with the quad core Clovertown processors (based on woodcrest) available in dual chip configurations. And it'll only get better from there.
Which reminds me, though slightly OT... this is a good reason why iMac may well get Conroe now or perhaps get Merom now but transition to a desktop chip by the time Santa Rosa comes out. The new chipset/socket means new logic board, and by the time that comes out the Kenstfield quad core chips on the consumer desktop end will start arriving. I don't yet know how far kentsfield will be scaling either up or down as far as clock speed/heat, but if quad core starts moving into the consumer dekstop market, they will need a very powerful processor: either Conroe or Kentsfield.
Pay attention. The answer is "sooner than you think".
Quarter 4 this year will see the X6900 conroe extreme at 3.2GHz.
So when will we start seeing 8 chips in a computer? Perhaps this will become the new measurement...not processor speeds, but the number of processors (or cores).
There have already been technology briefings from Intel that talk about 4-core chips in early and 32-core chips by 2010. Similar offerings are expected from AMD.
And the Xeon-MP series processors (which will, of course, eventually get all this tech) are designed with 8-way SMP in mind. A theoretical Xeon-MP based on this 32-core tech would produce a system with 256 cores. Of course, it is doubtful that anything other than a large server would be able to take proper advantage of this, so I wouldn't ever expect to find one on a desktop.
8 core should be out sometime between end of 2006 and beginning of 2007 with the quad core Clovertown processors (based on woodcrest) available in dual chip configurations. And it'll only get better from there.
Which reminds me, though slightly OT... this is a good reason why iMac may well get Conroe now or perhaps get Merom now but transition to a desktop chip by the time Santa Rosa comes out. The new chipset/socket means new logic board, and by the time that comes out the Kenstfield quad core chips on the consumer desktop end will start arriving. I don't yet know how far kentsfield will be scaling either up or down as far as clock speed/heat, but if quad core starts moving into the consumer dekstop market, they will need a very powerful processor: either Conroe or Kentsfield.
MacBoobsPro
Jul 20, 09:17 AM
I think you're a bit confused, 8x 3GHz cores doesn't equal 1x 24GHz processor.
No I think you are confused. :) I meant "Is having more cores, lets say 8, more efficient than one big core equal in processing power to the 8 cores?"
No I think you are confused. :) I meant "Is having more cores, lets say 8, more efficient than one big core equal in processing power to the 8 cores?"
NebulaClash
Apr 27, 10:19 AM
Maybe that's what you heard.
I heard that the database couldn't be user purged (easily)
The the database kept data from Day one
and that Location services being turned off didn't change the recording of the data.
Apple fans were "more correct". Wow. Ok - if you say so.... and if it helps you sleep at night
I'm talking about the hyperbole, not the sensible discussion that was going on too. You are capable of such discussions, and so am I. We do not represent the majority of the comments in these threads which contained lots of hair-on-fire paranoia. The Apple fans trying to talk such folks down off the roof were right.
I heard that the database couldn't be user purged (easily)
The the database kept data from Day one
and that Location services being turned off didn't change the recording of the data.
Apple fans were "more correct". Wow. Ok - if you say so.... and if it helps you sleep at night
I'm talking about the hyperbole, not the sensible discussion that was going on too. You are capable of such discussions, and so am I. We do not represent the majority of the comments in these threads which contained lots of hair-on-fire paranoia. The Apple fans trying to talk such folks down off the roof were right.
iVoid
Apr 27, 11:24 AM
Well, I think it's good that Apple is addressing this issue (although I wonder if they'll release an update for the 3G, since they are no longer doing iOS upgrades for it and the original iPhone).
But their statement: "The iPhone is not logging your location" is ridiculous. They are logging your location. For a long time. In an insecure way.
Outside of the PR butt saving double-speak, this is a good move by Apple to address this issue.
But their statement: "The iPhone is not logging your location" is ridiculous. They are logging your location. For a long time. In an insecure way.
Outside of the PR butt saving double-speak, this is a good move by Apple to address this issue.
NoNameBrand
Jul 15, 08:49 AM
There are advantages to having it on top too.
1) Hot air from components in the case rises to the top of the case..
2) Fan in PSU vents it out of system
Hot air in my G5, at least, is vented out the back. There's not a lot of air flow between the thermal zones on the G5.
1) Hot air from components in the case rises to the top of the case..
2) Fan in PSU vents it out of system
Hot air in my G5, at least, is vented out the back. There's not a lot of air flow between the thermal zones on the G5.
MatthewCobb
Aug 27, 04:28 PM
That is interesting because I ordered a Macbook on Tuesday (the 22nd) and mine is also scheduled to ship on the 31st. It is suspiciously strange and hopefully it means that we'll get Meroms because I was waiting for the Merom MBP when I decided to just order a Yonah MB.
I ordered a MB on 15 August from my work. Apple registered the order on 23 August (it was faxed on the 16th!)... It will be delivered on 1 September. I phoned up to find out what was going on and complained it was taking forever. Maybe I should have said thankyou!
On the other hand, I have heard that Apple want to emphasise the difference of the MBP (why buy one unless you're doing 3-D gaming or heavy-duty video editing or just like aluminium...?). So maybe they'll just put the Merom in the MBP...
PS I thought the PB G5 next Tuesday thing was quite funny - precisely because it has been done to death, first dead straight (remember how excited people got for so many years), and now because it's a useful reminder not to take our speculations too seriously...
PPS I have skanky keyboard marks all over my squidgy PBG4 screen, always have had. Grrr.
I ordered a MB on 15 August from my work. Apple registered the order on 23 August (it was faxed on the 16th!)... It will be delivered on 1 September. I phoned up to find out what was going on and complained it was taking forever. Maybe I should have said thankyou!
On the other hand, I have heard that Apple want to emphasise the difference of the MBP (why buy one unless you're doing 3-D gaming or heavy-duty video editing or just like aluminium...?). So maybe they'll just put the Merom in the MBP...
PS I thought the PB G5 next Tuesday thing was quite funny - precisely because it has been done to death, first dead straight (remember how excited people got for so many years), and now because it's a useful reminder not to take our speculations too seriously...
PPS I have skanky keyboard marks all over my squidgy PBG4 screen, always have had. Grrr.
grue
Apr 11, 11:39 PM
As a print/web designer who is getting more and more requests for video and animation I'm very interested to see what they do with FCP. I actually moved up from CS4 Design to CS5 Master to utilize the 64bit versions of Premiere and AE. And holy crap are they faster and use 100% of all 8 threads of my MP.
If the Final Cut suite can finally move to x64 and take advantage of my TWO YEAR OLD hardware then I may just switch back because I'm way more used to the older FCS suite.Don't forget that 64bit and properly multithreaded aren't the same thing. 32bit software can take advantage of multiple processors/cores just fine, and 64bit software can be poorly multithreaded.
If the Final Cut suite can finally move to x64 and take advantage of my TWO YEAR OLD hardware then I may just switch back because I'm way more used to the older FCS suite.Don't forget that 64bit and properly multithreaded aren't the same thing. 32bit software can take advantage of multiple processors/cores just fine, and 64bit software can be poorly multithreaded.
bilbo--baggins
Aug 25, 05:04 PM
The PowerMac G5 I bought last year had a fan that constantly 'clicked'. It took several calls to AppleCare to get it sorted. Before you got anywhere you had to speak to someone that could barely speak English, who you had to humour by following their instructions to reboot the computer, reset PRAM etc. Then they wanted to have a company collect my Mac and take it away for repair. Only if you're really stubborn do you actually get them to send you the part to fit yourself. Even then they couldn't agree on whether the old fan needed to be returned. They took my credit card details in case I didn't return the old fan, then the info with the new fan told me I didn't need to return the old fan. Then I phoned them to clarify this, and they told me I must return the old fan or I would be charged. Totally baffled, I rang yet again and this time was assured that I didn't need to return it. Complete shambles.
It's irritating from a personal point of view. But what really disappoints me is that this is the kind of service new customers are getting. So much for the halo effect - apple are tarnishing it themselves. I'm a long time Apple fan and a few buffoons (who have probably only worked for Apple for a few months) won't begin to damage my loyalty. But can the same be said for first time iPod or Mac users?
It's irritating from a personal point of view. But what really disappoints me is that this is the kind of service new customers are getting. So much for the halo effect - apple are tarnishing it themselves. I'm a long time Apple fan and a few buffoons (who have probably only worked for Apple for a few months) won't begin to damage my loyalty. But can the same be said for first time iPod or Mac users?
Chaszmyr
Jul 27, 09:36 AM
All of the reviews of the Core 2 Duo say that it crushes AMD in the desktop arena. This is good news, now we just need new iMacs, MacBook Pros, and Mac Pros.
RedTomato
Aug 11, 12:28 PM
My bets are that it will be either with Nokia or with HTC.
Nokia make the best phone interfaces in the world, which is a very Apple-like thing to do. They're also very experienced at phone hardware desigh and integrating it smoothly with the interface.
HTC are a taiwan company that design and make the best phone hardware in the world, and then sell them to companies like O2, T-Mobile etc to put their brand on. Most HTC-built phones run Windows Mobile, which Apple may be interested in replaceing with OSX Mobile...
I can quite easily see Apple commisisoning HTC to make a Apple phone, these people are simply the best at hardware phone design and manufacture.
Someone suggested Blackberry, but Blackberry is more geared to corporate use - not a very Apple-like sector - and also are quite heavily dependent on having access to a Windows server to get the most out of your phone.
Overall, I feel it will be HTC and OSX Mobile...
Nokia make the best phone interfaces in the world, which is a very Apple-like thing to do. They're also very experienced at phone hardware desigh and integrating it smoothly with the interface.
HTC are a taiwan company that design and make the best phone hardware in the world, and then sell them to companies like O2, T-Mobile etc to put their brand on. Most HTC-built phones run Windows Mobile, which Apple may be interested in replaceing with OSX Mobile...
I can quite easily see Apple commisisoning HTC to make a Apple phone, these people are simply the best at hardware phone design and manufacture.
Someone suggested Blackberry, but Blackberry is more geared to corporate use - not a very Apple-like sector - and also are quite heavily dependent on having access to a Windows server to get the most out of your phone.
Overall, I feel it will be HTC and OSX Mobile...
superfula
Apr 6, 10:53 AM
Since you have no clue how the sandy bridge airs will perform, I'll take your statement as FUD.
Of course we do. The integrated graphics card will perform just as poorly as every other Sandy Bridge processor because it's the same.
Of course we do. The integrated graphics card will perform just as poorly as every other Sandy Bridge processor because it's the same.
No comments:
Post a Comment