Jape
Nov 18, 02:24 PM
With Provantage, the total cost is $101.58 so it's probably worth just hanging out with my current order as its clearly a TomTom issue. I like, and know Provantage and they are a good company, but waiting is waiting. Also, keep in mind this car kit is a good addition even using the new Google app should it arrive someday soon.
yes very true, I think i might stick with BLT as well, hard to beat 85 dollars...lol, especially since i just learned that the new Magellan Car Kit will cost 129.99 :eek: and here we all were complaining about tomtom's pricing...lol. I will say, just as i have stated before though, that it is still enticing to go to my local apple store and pick up a unit. I guess it all depends on if I go on some spur of the moment trip..lol
yes very true, I think i might stick with BLT as well, hard to beat 85 dollars...lol, especially since i just learned that the new Magellan Car Kit will cost 129.99 :eek: and here we all were complaining about tomtom's pricing...lol. I will say, just as i have stated before though, that it is still enticing to go to my local apple store and pick up a unit. I guess it all depends on if I go on some spur of the moment trip..lol
GregA
Jul 31, 12:51 AM
Just wondering - what would happen if Apple allowed Airport Extreme/Express etc (AND every Mac which has Wireless) to become a hub that anyone with a .Mac account could log in to and use?
Basically, as a Mac owner with a wireless card, you could elect to share your bandwidth for $5/GB (or something appropriate depending on country). Any .Mac subscriber could use your connection, and it would credit your .Mac account (redeemable on .Mac fees, roaming onto other people's networks, iTMS, or Apple store).
How much coverage would you get through this? Would it be legal?
Basically, as a Mac owner with a wireless card, you could elect to share your bandwidth for $5/GB (or something appropriate depending on country). Any .Mac subscriber could use your connection, and it would credit your .Mac account (redeemable on .Mac fees, roaming onto other people's networks, iTMS, or Apple store).
How much coverage would you get through this? Would it be legal?
GGJstudios
Dec 29, 10:45 AM
For those who insist that Mac OS X needs not AV protection, I politely disagree .... Today we know her as "Typhoid Mary". Approximately 30 people died as a direct result of the Typhus virus she carried, but was apparently immune to.
Poor analogy. Mary was a source of the virus. Macs are not the source of Windows viruses. No Mac can have a file containing a Windows virus, unless it first receives that file from a Windows computer. Windows, not Mac, is the source for Windows viruses.
Yes, Macs may be largely immune in today's threat environment.
Macs are not immune. They are not affected in any way by Windows malware, but they are not immune to threats. The only malware threats in the wild that can affect current Mac OS X are those which can be avoided by prudent action on the part of the user.
But threats change.
Yes, they do change. If the situation changes and a virus is introduced in the wild that affects Mac OS X, it will make news headlines and anyone paying attention will be alerted. Until that time, no AV software can detect a threat that does not yet exist.
But we all communicate with the Windows world.
Not every Mac user shares files with Windows users. You can communicate with Windows users without sharing files that could pose a threat.
Please consider taking one for the team and getting some sort of AV.
Interesting you should choose that phrase:
1. take one for the team
The act of someone willingly making a sacrafice for the benefit of others.
The only ones who would benefit by Mac users making the sacrifice of system performance in running AV software are Windows users who don't run AV software. Even then, it would only protect them from infected files you might send them. It would not protect them from files sent from other computers, websites, emails, IMs, etc., which pose a far greater threat than any Mac.
If Windows users are properly protected, they have no need for Mac users to run AV, since they're protected from threats, no matter where they come from. If you want to do this, that's your choice, but I have no desire to take steps to try to protect any Windows users who don't care enough to protect themselves.
Poor analogy. Mary was a source of the virus. Macs are not the source of Windows viruses. No Mac can have a file containing a Windows virus, unless it first receives that file from a Windows computer. Windows, not Mac, is the source for Windows viruses.
Yes, Macs may be largely immune in today's threat environment.
Macs are not immune. They are not affected in any way by Windows malware, but they are not immune to threats. The only malware threats in the wild that can affect current Mac OS X are those which can be avoided by prudent action on the part of the user.
But threats change.
Yes, they do change. If the situation changes and a virus is introduced in the wild that affects Mac OS X, it will make news headlines and anyone paying attention will be alerted. Until that time, no AV software can detect a threat that does not yet exist.
But we all communicate with the Windows world.
Not every Mac user shares files with Windows users. You can communicate with Windows users without sharing files that could pose a threat.
Please consider taking one for the team and getting some sort of AV.
Interesting you should choose that phrase:
1. take one for the team
The act of someone willingly making a sacrafice for the benefit of others.
The only ones who would benefit by Mac users making the sacrifice of system performance in running AV software are Windows users who don't run AV software. Even then, it would only protect them from infected files you might send them. It would not protect them from files sent from other computers, websites, emails, IMs, etc., which pose a far greater threat than any Mac.
If Windows users are properly protected, they have no need for Mac users to run AV, since they're protected from threats, no matter where they come from. If you want to do this, that's your choice, but I have no desire to take steps to try to protect any Windows users who don't care enough to protect themselves.
Billy Boo Bob
Nov 27, 11:07 PM
I would welcome a flip-top laptop that doubles as a tablet. I'm often on the road at a customer's location and I'm working with them on a counter top. Right now I have to use a book flipping pages of examples (products), and I have a separate book for writing up quotes / orders.
It would be nice in my case if I could flip the top over and touch my way through the pages of examples / products. I could visually show pricing differences with any given options while it lays flat on the counter. With a MacBook, this is just not feasible. When it comes time to fill out an order or quote, I could bring up a form and fill it out. Not sure what to do about printing it out at the moment, but there are options (one would be to wirelessly send it to the fax machine that sits somewhere around the shop).
If they were to include that previously rumored touch sensing "Gestures" interface, that could come in real handy with it. Then, when needed, flip it back and use the laptop keyboard.
I guess it helps that I can write my own software, too, so I could tailor the thing to work exactly as I need.
http://www.toshibadirect.com/images/products/prod_portM400_300x300.jpg
I've seen units similar to the one pictured above in use all over the hospital and doctor's offices nearby, and they sure look like a pretty handy device (even if it is running Windoze). I've asked a few people there how they like it and they all say they just love it.
All I ever see them use is computer generated text. I don't know that it even attempts to do handwriting recognition. For input they just flip it around to show the keyboard. Many of them just leave it flipped as a laptop to have keyboard access, but still use the stylus to navigate around.
Add some Apple class (hardware-wise and with OS X) and I see a nice product possible.
It would be nice in my case if I could flip the top over and touch my way through the pages of examples / products. I could visually show pricing differences with any given options while it lays flat on the counter. With a MacBook, this is just not feasible. When it comes time to fill out an order or quote, I could bring up a form and fill it out. Not sure what to do about printing it out at the moment, but there are options (one would be to wirelessly send it to the fax machine that sits somewhere around the shop).
If they were to include that previously rumored touch sensing "Gestures" interface, that could come in real handy with it. Then, when needed, flip it back and use the laptop keyboard.
I guess it helps that I can write my own software, too, so I could tailor the thing to work exactly as I need.
http://www.toshibadirect.com/images/products/prod_portM400_300x300.jpg
I've seen units similar to the one pictured above in use all over the hospital and doctor's offices nearby, and they sure look like a pretty handy device (even if it is running Windoze). I've asked a few people there how they like it and they all say they just love it.
All I ever see them use is computer generated text. I don't know that it even attempts to do handwriting recognition. For input they just flip it around to show the keyboard. Many of them just leave it flipped as a laptop to have keyboard access, but still use the stylus to navigate around.
Add some Apple class (hardware-wise and with OS X) and I see a nice product possible.

wschutz
Mar 30, 05:55 PM
Dear Apple
PLEASE can we have a UI update, even if it's a minor one (for instance, iTunes 10 scrollbars rather than the blue aqua ones). Just some extra polish really.
Signed
iFanboy
Enjoy your brand new 129$ Mac OS X latest revision (the most advanced, the most unique, the most... bla bla bla bla...) carrying more than XXX features (aka... just making the Mac OS X experience more iOS-alike so you get used to AppStore since soon you'll have to go through this method of delivery as there won't be any other one, because Mr. Jobs wants more money...)
Yep... I think that 129$ sounds quite ok, for nothing :D
Though I'm not surprise... there's nothing shocking that they can implement. This "update" is aimed at training people into AppStore (aka money)... and they even charge for it :D
PLEASE can we have a UI update, even if it's a minor one (for instance, iTunes 10 scrollbars rather than the blue aqua ones). Just some extra polish really.
Signed
iFanboy
Enjoy your brand new 129$ Mac OS X latest revision (the most advanced, the most unique, the most... bla bla bla bla...) carrying more than XXX features (aka... just making the Mac OS X experience more iOS-alike so you get used to AppStore since soon you'll have to go through this method of delivery as there won't be any other one, because Mr. Jobs wants more money...)
Yep... I think that 129$ sounds quite ok, for nothing :D
Though I'm not surprise... there's nothing shocking that they can implement. This "update" is aimed at training people into AppStore (aka money)... and they even charge for it :D
beebler
Apr 23, 10:13 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8H7)
As I said a while ago, the next gen of MBP's will have a really good screen as a main selling point.
No one listens!
As I said a while ago, the next gen of MBP's will have a really good screen as a main selling point.
No one listens!
Stella
Aug 4, 07:52 AM
Cheese with your whine?
Never buy an apple product!!!
As soon as you do something new and better comes out!!!
AAAHHHHHH
I am typing this away on my new Macbook, Core 1 Duo; which i bought under the self-brainwashed reasoning that the MBP alone would see 2x2. Why you ask? Cuz I figured hey, the MB JUST came out, why refresh it every 2 months! The MBP has been out like 8 months, that makes sense.
I can only PRAY I am right.
No that my Macbook will be instant crap... I just COULD have waited until september.
Damn you apple...
Never buy an apple product!!!
As soon as you do something new and better comes out!!!
AAAHHHHHH
I am typing this away on my new Macbook, Core 1 Duo; which i bought under the self-brainwashed reasoning that the MBP alone would see 2x2. Why you ask? Cuz I figured hey, the MB JUST came out, why refresh it every 2 months! The MBP has been out like 8 months, that makes sense.
I can only PRAY I am right.
No that my Macbook will be instant crap... I just COULD have waited until september.
Damn you apple...
munkery
Nov 2, 09:29 PM
Java on any platform is able to download payloads for Windows. Most likely Windows malware that the AV software found. Java can usually be turned off fairly easily in client side apps, as in Safari, if you don't use it. Beyond turning Java off, user knowledge can keep you safe from trojans. For example, don't provide password and authenticate for installers that you have not explicitly double clicked; then the payload is not able to install itself in your system. Java applets should not require password authentication so that is a good sign of a malicious payload. You can clean it out manually via finder or on demand scan using ClamXav.
Stelph
Mar 30, 03:26 AM
Hammer, meet nail head. I'm an American, and unfortunately I must agree with iliketyla's assessment. There is this incredible sense of entitlement that has pervaded American culture. So many people want at least $20 per hour, but [insert deity or lack of one here] forbid they should lift more than two pounds.
Enter the illegal immigrants, who find the pay good enough to live on, not to mention the location, location, location. Hmm... $5 an hour harvesting lettuce heads for hours on end, or dodging drug-cartel bullets in Ciudad Juarez day and night. Not too tough a decision for me, and IMHO one worth the risk of getting caught by US border police.
Here in the UK a couple of months ago there was quite a good program on this, where a group of Brits who were unemployed and were very vocally against immigrants "coming over here and taking our jobs" were given the chance to work alongside them in the same job to see how they would do.
Turned out the vast majority of the Brits were very lazy and undermotivated, the work was sub-par and they gave the impression that they just felt that as they had been born in the UK they were entitled to a job rather than entitled to it because they worked hard. That being said, there were two guys who I had a lot of respect for as at the start of the program they were the same as the others, but then picked up an "anything that they can do, I can do better" mentality and totally committed themselves to the job, as it turned out they did very well and by the end they were offered jobs as they showed they were good workers
Enter the illegal immigrants, who find the pay good enough to live on, not to mention the location, location, location. Hmm... $5 an hour harvesting lettuce heads for hours on end, or dodging drug-cartel bullets in Ciudad Juarez day and night. Not too tough a decision for me, and IMHO one worth the risk of getting caught by US border police.
Here in the UK a couple of months ago there was quite a good program on this, where a group of Brits who were unemployed and were very vocally against immigrants "coming over here and taking our jobs" were given the chance to work alongside them in the same job to see how they would do.
Turned out the vast majority of the Brits were very lazy and undermotivated, the work was sub-par and they gave the impression that they just felt that as they had been born in the UK they were entitled to a job rather than entitled to it because they worked hard. That being said, there were two guys who I had a lot of respect for as at the start of the program they were the same as the others, but then picked up an "anything that they can do, I can do better" mentality and totally committed themselves to the job, as it turned out they did very well and by the end they were offered jobs as they showed they were good workers
Stevamundo
Dec 14, 12:39 PM
No, we do NOT have any responsibility to protect Windows users from viruses. It is each computer user's responsibility to protect themselves. Even if every Mac ran antivirus, Windows users are still at a much greater risk from other sources of malware. The common sense approach is for every Windows user to run their own antivirus to protect themselves from malware, whether that malware comes from a Mac user or another source. Mac users do not have a responsibility to burden their computers with AV apps, just because some Windows users may be careless enough to run without AV protection.
It's ALL of our responsibility to try to contain viruses the best we can. I don't want to spread any viruses to my PC friends. That's called politeness.
However I agree, if you are a Windows user and you don't have any AV protection then you're just asking for it.
It's ALL of our responsibility to try to contain viruses the best we can. I don't want to spread any viruses to my PC friends. That's called politeness.
However I agree, if you are a Windows user and you don't have any AV protection then you're just asking for it.
Ryth
Apr 21, 04:53 PM
I would say make it even smaller.
Mac Pro should be based on Mac mini, but with a choice of i7 or Xeon CPU, 6 user-serviceable memory slots, 2-3 expansion slots, and choice of 256 or 512 GB SSD. Complemented by multiple Thunderbolt port, external Superdrive, and Apple's own 5-bay DAS.
Yah I agree. I think there needs to be a factor between the iMac and MacPro.
I want the power of the top of the line iMac but in a small form factor with upgradable slots for video, memory, etc.
Mac Pro should be based on Mac mini, but with a choice of i7 or Xeon CPU, 6 user-serviceable memory slots, 2-3 expansion slots, and choice of 256 or 512 GB SSD. Complemented by multiple Thunderbolt port, external Superdrive, and Apple's own 5-bay DAS.
Yah I agree. I think there needs to be a factor between the iMac and MacPro.
I want the power of the top of the line iMac but in a small form factor with upgradable slots for video, memory, etc.

Vic320
Apr 25, 09:18 AM
This whole thing is stupid. Of course the iPhone will track what cell towers and wi-fi access points are around it. It needs this information to be able to make phone calls and access the internet. It makes sense that this info be stored so that it does not have to gather in info every time (basic cacheing). What Apple did not anticipate was that someone would find this database and would start screaming about an "invasion of privacy". It is probably something that Apple could have foreseen and they should have encrypted this info, but until someone proves that this info is actually being transmitted back to Apple, it's just a bunch of crap.
ariza910
Aug 11, 12:43 PM
Yes, actualy all the worlds puppies will die
Everyone waiting on the Core 2 Duo MacBook needs to get a clue.
It's the same folks who were falling over waiting to WWDC to come so they could order their Core 2 Duo MacBooks after the keynote!
Apple IS NOT going to move the MacBook to a Core 2 Duo until they've updated:
1) MacBook Pro
2) iMac
3) Maybe even Mac Mini, since it's been out forever!
The MacBook is barely three months old. It may get a speed bump and/or price cut soon, but won't get a new chip.
All of you saying Apple has to upgrade it to a Core 2 Duo to complete with Dell, HP, etc - why? Why do they HAVE to? Will they explode if they don't? Will the sun stop shining? Will all the world's puppies die?
Of course they'll upgrade it eventually. That doesn't mean it needs to be upgraded as soon as the chips are available. If you look at other PC maker's sites, most of their machines don't even have the Core Duo chips yet; there's no rush.
You can't claim Apple will inevitable act a certain way now that they're on Intel chips; you don't know that. They have no history of using Intel chips. Just because your bright minds think it would be a good idea to move the MB line to the latest and greatest chip whenever a new one is released by Intel because "that's what the other guys are doing," it doesn't mean Apple agrees with you.
What we DO know for a fact is Apple like to differentiate between consumer and pro lines, and Apple has never been one to put the latest chips into the iMac or Mac Mini level machines - and I don't see either of that changing.
Everyone waiting on the Core 2 Duo MacBook needs to get a clue.
It's the same folks who were falling over waiting to WWDC to come so they could order their Core 2 Duo MacBooks after the keynote!
Apple IS NOT going to move the MacBook to a Core 2 Duo until they've updated:
1) MacBook Pro
2) iMac
3) Maybe even Mac Mini, since it's been out forever!
The MacBook is barely three months old. It may get a speed bump and/or price cut soon, but won't get a new chip.
All of you saying Apple has to upgrade it to a Core 2 Duo to complete with Dell, HP, etc - why? Why do they HAVE to? Will they explode if they don't? Will the sun stop shining? Will all the world's puppies die?
Of course they'll upgrade it eventually. That doesn't mean it needs to be upgraded as soon as the chips are available. If you look at other PC maker's sites, most of their machines don't even have the Core Duo chips yet; there's no rush.
You can't claim Apple will inevitable act a certain way now that they're on Intel chips; you don't know that. They have no history of using Intel chips. Just because your bright minds think it would be a good idea to move the MB line to the latest and greatest chip whenever a new one is released by Intel because "that's what the other guys are doing," it doesn't mean Apple agrees with you.
What we DO know for a fact is Apple like to differentiate between consumer and pro lines, and Apple has never been one to put the latest chips into the iMac or Mac Mini level machines - and I don't see either of that changing.
2IS
Apr 7, 11:39 AM
Ha ha! Way to go Apple!!!! Kill the competition any way you can!!
Apple is doing everyone a favor saving them from the mistake of getting a RIM tablet.
I'm sure Apple appreciates your enthusiasm to kill the competition. I have no doubt they will repay your gratitude by allowing you to pay more for their products.
Apple is doing everyone a favor saving them from the mistake of getting a RIM tablet.
I'm sure Apple appreciates your enthusiasm to kill the competition. I have no doubt they will repay your gratitude by allowing you to pay more for their products.
tny
Nov 26, 10:25 PM
Seriously, does anyone here even hear about tablet PCs anymore? Nope.
What happened with Microsoft Origami? Nothing.
This is an iSight shot from the front page of today's CompUSA flyer. The Sony VAIO UX Micro PC with Windows XP Professional is brand new, and an "origami" device.
What happened with Microsoft Origami? Nothing.
This is an iSight shot from the front page of today's CompUSA flyer. The Sony VAIO UX Micro PC with Windows XP Professional is brand new, and an "origami" device.
Chundles
Aug 3, 01:21 AM
It's not a "chintzy marketing ploy by Intel". It's a scientific test conducted by two Intel Marketing engineers which I always believe because Intel employees are honest people with families and friends who love them. :)
It's not scientific at all. No way in hell is it scientific. I should know, I'm a scientist, got a degree and everything.
I would expect Merom to show greater performance but with a similar battery life.
Unless.....Apple are bringing back the old modular battery compartments... :eek:
It's not scientific at all. No way in hell is it scientific. I should know, I'm a scientist, got a degree and everything.
I would expect Merom to show greater performance but with a similar battery life.
Unless.....Apple are bringing back the old modular battery compartments... :eek:
bella92108
Apr 5, 02:21 PM
Yes they can. There is no protection under law for making money off the ineptitude of other companies. Apple is entitled, and expected to fix bugs. When those bugs get fixed, an avenue for jail breaking gets closed. Companies that see their revenue stream dry up are just screwed. That's life.
Jail breaking happens because Apple screwed the pooch on security. That's all.
Much of it is the automatic association that "jailbreak = pirated apps" which for many of us is not the case. I have spent $52 on apps in the last 3 weeks of having iPad... they're making a killing off me. Even with all of the apps I have, I can't stand looking at the device's home screen with an inch of space between each app, and it drives me nuts that I am limited to how many icons i can put in each folder. IF I can't jailbreak this thing in the next week, it's going back to the store, and I'll buy the Xoom. It solves all the issues. Would rather stay with Apple because the hardware is so much better than android, but I have to be realistic, software is what makes any device (hence why I like my Mac so much)
Jail breaking happens because Apple screwed the pooch on security. That's all.
Much of it is the automatic association that "jailbreak = pirated apps" which for many of us is not the case. I have spent $52 on apps in the last 3 weeks of having iPad... they're making a killing off me. Even with all of the apps I have, I can't stand looking at the device's home screen with an inch of space between each app, and it drives me nuts that I am limited to how many icons i can put in each folder. IF I can't jailbreak this thing in the next week, it's going back to the store, and I'll buy the Xoom. It solves all the issues. Would rather stay with Apple because the hardware is so much better than android, but I have to be realistic, software is what makes any device (hence why I like my Mac so much)
sartinsauce
Sep 11, 03:14 PM
Extremely unlikely. Or i`d say it`s impossible. We`ll definitely get DVD quality(atleast as an option). But my guesses are 720p will also be offered to those with a really really FAT internet pipe. Fat enough to fill a human body I guess:D .
I really think Apple will offer atleast 3 resolutions ie QVGA, DVD and(crossing fingers) HD 720p(may be at an extra cost and limited in number of available titles). Apple needs to do something which will set them apart from Amazon. I`ll be really disappointed if all we get is the same as Amazon.
Not gonna happen.
Apple's delivery requirements for iTMS are for an SD resolution (720x486). Many networks, in an effort to expidite iTMS availability, send Apple tapes containing content. Apple will not accept tapes in an HD format.
That being said, DVD quality downloads now (or in the near future) are a distinct possibility. Again, bandwidth is a mofo. How do you offer so much content, with such large file-sizes, to millions of customers simultaneously, while also maintaining bandwidth for music downloads.
Will there be a download queue, so we have to wait in line to download content?
I really think Apple will offer atleast 3 resolutions ie QVGA, DVD and(crossing fingers) HD 720p(may be at an extra cost and limited in number of available titles). Apple needs to do something which will set them apart from Amazon. I`ll be really disappointed if all we get is the same as Amazon.
Not gonna happen.
Apple's delivery requirements for iTMS are for an SD resolution (720x486). Many networks, in an effort to expidite iTMS availability, send Apple tapes containing content. Apple will not accept tapes in an HD format.
That being said, DVD quality downloads now (or in the near future) are a distinct possibility. Again, bandwidth is a mofo. How do you offer so much content, with such large file-sizes, to millions of customers simultaneously, while also maintaining bandwidth for music downloads.
Will there be a download queue, so we have to wait in line to download content?
Al Coholic
Mar 29, 01:09 PM
Hilarious that companies are copying Apple rumors now.Right. Like Apple invented everything.
lol.
You fanboys crack me up.
lol.
You fanboys crack me up.
Marx55
May 6, 01:55 AM
Obviously, Apple did not learn from the PowerPC FIASCO. Too bad. Be prepared for a brave new world of 1984 closed Mac systems based on the horrible iOS. Apple is evolving. Hopefully, NOT!!! Or else millions will move to Windows. Apple decides.
itcheroni
Apr 18, 06:51 PM
Yet you haven't convinced many here. Doesn't that indicate that perhaps you need to address it again, and perhaps find other ways to illustrate your point? It's not like I'm unwilling to be convinced. I just haven't heard a good reason to accept your argument.
Well, if you guys agreed with me then I would have to rethink my position. :D
It's kind of a prerequisite for a collapse that 99% of the population is unprepared.
Well, if you guys agreed with me then I would have to rethink my position. :D
It's kind of a prerequisite for a collapse that 99% of the population is unprepared.
itcheroni
Apr 16, 12:57 PM
First of all, some inflation is ok, and normal as long as it doesn't get too high. And how does money sitting in a bank account, or under my mattress create jobs? If nobody is buying anything then the economy goes down, that has been shown many times.
Poor people spend more of their money to cover basic necessities, so inflation effects them much more. Inflation is a dishonest tax because people don't understand it as a tax. Some morons even think some inflation is a good thing. Rather than have income tax, the government could just have the fed create all the money they want to spend. Instead, they know they have to spread it out. If I made 100k, roughly 35% would go to the fed, 10.6% will go to California, 1-5% will go to local. Then there's property taxes. Then if I want to spend the money, there's a 9.75% sales tax. And the government can't make due on that money, so they either borrow or print. When you print, that is pure inflation. It's like pouring water into a pool. The water level might not seem to rise exactly as much as you put in because of the volatility. When the government borrows, the principal doesn't chase goods, but our interest payments do. Once, they mature, they will start chasing goods. So inflation is another tax that the government can play with when they need more spending money. Compare the governments measurement of inflation, CPI, with the headlines of higher food prices. Thanks goodness the CPI doesn't include the volatility of food and energy, because the purpose of having a CPI is to produce a smooth line on a chart, not to get an indicator for prices or anything. The DOW rises and falls every day. Why isn't anyone proposing a DOW comprised only of companies that rise very slowly and predictably? My guess is they would rather have an indicator that indicated something.
Edit: I just wanted to add that we are now monetizing our debt. Rather than selling it off, the fed is buying our deficit spending with created money, creating pure inflation right now. Look at gas prices and keep in mind that the storage facility for oil, I think, Cushing, OK is at one of the highest points in history. We literally have gas up the wazoo. Inflation is effecting prices much more than Middle East events. I wouldn't be surprised if the timing of these events weren't coincidental.
And when money is in a bank, the bank can loan an entrepreneur money to start a business that hires people. If the money is invested, it will provide capital for a business to expand. If $1 dollar is consumed, one person can have a candy bar. If $1 is saved, $10 will go towards a small business that might provide a continual source of income and services for many people. If we consume with deficit spending, one person can have a candy bar and his progeny will have to continue paying interest on it. Would the solution be to have a candy bar consuming economy because the GDP numbers will look good?
Poor people spend more of their money to cover basic necessities, so inflation effects them much more. Inflation is a dishonest tax because people don't understand it as a tax. Some morons even think some inflation is a good thing. Rather than have income tax, the government could just have the fed create all the money they want to spend. Instead, they know they have to spread it out. If I made 100k, roughly 35% would go to the fed, 10.6% will go to California, 1-5% will go to local. Then there's property taxes. Then if I want to spend the money, there's a 9.75% sales tax. And the government can't make due on that money, so they either borrow or print. When you print, that is pure inflation. It's like pouring water into a pool. The water level might not seem to rise exactly as much as you put in because of the volatility. When the government borrows, the principal doesn't chase goods, but our interest payments do. Once, they mature, they will start chasing goods. So inflation is another tax that the government can play with when they need more spending money. Compare the governments measurement of inflation, CPI, with the headlines of higher food prices. Thanks goodness the CPI doesn't include the volatility of food and energy, because the purpose of having a CPI is to produce a smooth line on a chart, not to get an indicator for prices or anything. The DOW rises and falls every day. Why isn't anyone proposing a DOW comprised only of companies that rise very slowly and predictably? My guess is they would rather have an indicator that indicated something.
Edit: I just wanted to add that we are now monetizing our debt. Rather than selling it off, the fed is buying our deficit spending with created money, creating pure inflation right now. Look at gas prices and keep in mind that the storage facility for oil, I think, Cushing, OK is at one of the highest points in history. We literally have gas up the wazoo. Inflation is effecting prices much more than Middle East events. I wouldn't be surprised if the timing of these events weren't coincidental.
And when money is in a bank, the bank can loan an entrepreneur money to start a business that hires people. If the money is invested, it will provide capital for a business to expand. If $1 dollar is consumed, one person can have a candy bar. If $1 is saved, $10 will go towards a small business that might provide a continual source of income and services for many people. If we consume with deficit spending, one person can have a candy bar and his progeny will have to continue paying interest on it. Would the solution be to have a candy bar consuming economy because the GDP numbers will look good?
Mr. Retrofire
Apr 21, 05:39 PM
The current case size is perfect imo. I know Apple likes their products to be as small and quiet as possible but you have to wonder if heat will be an issue with two six core processors in such a small case.
Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge allow smaller case designs and are much more power efficient than previous processor generations. So smaller cases are not a real problem.
Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge allow smaller case designs and are much more power efficient than previous processor generations. So smaller cases are not a real problem.
tpavur
Apr 21, 05:19 PM
The current case size is perfect imo. I know Apple likes their products to be as small and quiet as possible but you have to wonder if heat will be an issue with two six core processors in such a small case.
exactly, not to mention throwing in a decent GPU and several HDD's
exactly, not to mention throwing in a decent GPU and several HDD's
No comments:
Post a Comment