AwakenedLands
Apr 25, 02:38 PM
Thinking it's only stored on the device and not used by Apple is naive. What's the point of logging your every location if it's not going to be used in some way.
I'm going to assume if you wipe your phone, your location data isn't lost... it will still be in Apple's possession. What else is iOS storing and sending to Apple that we don't know about? Slippery slope if you ask me.
I'm going to assume if you wipe your phone, your location data isn't lost... it will still be in Apple's possession. What else is iOS storing and sending to Apple that we don't know about? Slippery slope if you ask me.
Lennholm
Apr 27, 09:20 AM
This is exactly what i wanted to hear from Apple, a clarification on what the system actually does and an update that stops the info from being registered when location services is turned off.
I believe the lawsuit was simply a measure to get this clarification from Apple and now the suit will be dropped for sure.
I believe the lawsuit was simply a measure to get this clarification from Apple and now the suit will be dropped for sure.

ZoomZoomZoom
Sep 19, 12:36 AM
I think when the update reveals itself to be.... just a mere processor swop the moans to the high heavens would be deafening!
Any likelihood that we will see a new case design at MWSF perchance? :rolleyes:
Someone's gonna get a real hurtin'.
You forgot Mormon.
Hahaha :D
Any likelihood that we will see a new case design at MWSF perchance? :rolleyes:
Someone's gonna get a real hurtin'.
You forgot Mormon.
Hahaha :D

BlondeBuddhist
Jun 8, 08:24 PM
I kind of take offense to the statement that the radioshack employees can ruin your credit. truth is it is impossible..there is no way to touch your credit when running an activation. the used phone incident sounded like a mistake, hardly the norm. I've never heard of that happening. Radioshack is connected to the carries and in fact have their own representative for each carrier. Also, Radioshack offers a 30-day policy same as everywhere. Oh and the cell-phones sold at Walmart, target and Sam's club are owned by Radioshack BTW.
haha.. yeah.. I dont pay much attention to the "my brothers, sisters, gardeners went to this one radio shack in ireland" stories. every store is different. period.
I live 50 feet from a Walmart, 100 feet from a Radio Shack, 30 miles from ATT and 2 Hours from an Apple store.
Will Walmart do pre-orders? If not I guess its another 50 feet to "The Shack" I have to pre-order at this store since I will be getting my iPhone 4 by adding a line to an existing contract.
haha.. yeah.. I dont pay much attention to the "my brothers, sisters, gardeners went to this one radio shack in ireland" stories. every store is different. period.
I live 50 feet from a Walmart, 100 feet from a Radio Shack, 30 miles from ATT and 2 Hours from an Apple store.
Will Walmart do pre-orders? If not I guess its another 50 feet to "The Shack" I have to pre-order at this store since I will be getting my iPhone 4 by adding a line to an existing contract.

jrhone
Sep 13, 11:58 AM
Man, I don't know why people keep saying this. On OS X, *all software utilizes the extra cores*. The only way it wouldn't is if you have less than 8 processes running, which I guarantee you that you don't. (System alone requires 20-30 processes to run.)
Granted, 8 cores won't make Mail open up faster, but there are still plenty of ways to use those cores, and that's only going to increase as apps are re-written to be more heavily multi-threaded.
NOT TRUE....The Quad core G5 people are in an uproar because Logic Pro only uses 2 cores on the G5....they updated Logic Pro so it uses 4 cores, but the G5 Quad still only uses 2 cores....there are also photoshop actions that are NOT multi core aware so will only run on one core.....Hopefully 10.5 will make all this irrelevant.
Granted, 8 cores won't make Mail open up faster, but there are still plenty of ways to use those cores, and that's only going to increase as apps are re-written to be more heavily multi-threaded.
NOT TRUE....The Quad core G5 people are in an uproar because Logic Pro only uses 2 cores on the G5....they updated Logic Pro so it uses 4 cores, but the G5 Quad still only uses 2 cores....there are also photoshop actions that are NOT multi core aware so will only run on one core.....Hopefully 10.5 will make all this irrelevant.
mc68k
Dec 6, 06:02 PM
yeah the AI driver is piss poor at overtaking. it's all racing lines and he'll only overtake on a sharp turn or on a long straight. even with a significantly more powerful car the driver won't always come out on top. i remember in GT4 you could drop out of bspec into aspec and you could also speed up a race by several times to make the enduros go faster. so far i haven't seen this functionality in gt5?
the car trading sounds like fun. do u trade for car/car or car/$ or just gift back and forth? do both players have to be online at the same time?
thanks for the tips on the different car settings. i haven't been frustrated enough to try these out yet, but every little bit would help with those top gear tracks. i got so annoyed with the VW Bus and the lotus one that i just gave up and did other stuff. what did you get for completing the lotus/top gear?
the car trading sounds like fun. do u trade for car/car or car/$ or just gift back and forth? do both players have to be online at the same time?
thanks for the tips on the different car settings. i haven't been frustrated enough to try these out yet, but every little bit would help with those top gear tracks. i got so annoyed with the VW Bus and the lotus one that i just gave up and did other stuff. what did you get for completing the lotus/top gear?
cmaier
Apr 20, 09:40 AM
It's ony a problem if the customer can't tell the Samsung is not an Apple device at point of sale.
As for the tablets, I think it'd be pretty hard to confuse a Tab with an iPad, or think that the Tab is made by Apple.
Is it obvious it's not licensed by Apple, though?
In either case, Apple could have to come up with proof that normal consumers are actually confused between the products.
No they wouldn't. They have to prove likelihood of confusion, not actual confusion. Actual confusion is evidence of likelihood of confusion, but it's not necessary.
As for the tablets, I think it'd be pretty hard to confuse a Tab with an iPad, or think that the Tab is made by Apple.
Is it obvious it's not licensed by Apple, though?
In either case, Apple could have to come up with proof that normal consumers are actually confused between the products.
No they wouldn't. They have to prove likelihood of confusion, not actual confusion. Actual confusion is evidence of likelihood of confusion, but it's not necessary.

Bill McEnaney
Mar 1, 05:10 AM
It's life Captain but not as we know it.:confused:
I don't understand.
I don't understand.
srxtr
Mar 31, 03:57 PM
Please, enlighten us, how does fragmentation bite Android's ass when it is the #1 smartphone OS. Regardless what you think, Android and iOS are by far the most successful OS in the last 5 years.
Android is a good OS, and even better when the phone it comes in is offered for free.
Free phones are usually hard to beat. I'm sure the iOS would win if the iPhone came free with contract.
Android is a good OS, and even better when the phone it comes in is offered for free.
Free phones are usually hard to beat. I'm sure the iOS would win if the iPhone came free with contract.
Macnoviz
Jul 20, 10:02 AM
Notice time. I bags it, I said it first, it's MINE!!!
My only...
My Mactopus...
Mactopus on Google gives you 18 hits
My only...
My Mactopus...
Mactopus on Google gives you 18 hits
Riemann Zeta
Apr 27, 09:42 AM
Whether or not the behavior of this cache was in fact "a bug", I think the update that flushes the cache files when Location Services is disabled will settle the issue.
Multimedia
Sep 13, 01:21 PM
A bit pointless given that no software utilises the extra cores yet. But nice to know, I guess.No software such as, Cinema 4D, Motion, Aperture, Final Cut Pro etcNo software such as Toast 7.1, Handbrake UB. More to the point is not how many cores an application can use but rather how many things you can get done at once. :rolleyes:From my usage of FCP, Compressor, Aperture and DVDSP, they work very well with the MacPro but I haven't seen them approach usage of even 3 full cores.
Ability to multistask is great but I would not say that any one of the above is using all cores the way we want them to. I would contend that this is coming and pointed out in another thread that some of the FCP benchmarks on Apple's MacPro performance page are footnoted that the figures given were using Beta version of FCP.I think in the next few months the full FCS and Logic will get an update to address this.
Ability to multistask is great but I would not say that any one of the above is using all cores the way we want them to. I would contend that this is coming and pointed out in another thread that some of the FCP benchmarks on Apple's MacPro performance page are footnoted that the figures given were using Beta version of FCP.I think in the next few months the full FCS and Logic will get an update to address this.
gnasher729
Aug 17, 12:59 PM
The interesting thing to note from the Anandtech review is that to saturate a 2 core setup, all you need is one program. To saturate a quad, you need to be doing a bit more at the same time. To saturate an octo, you need to be doing a hell of a lot of things at the same time.
No, you only need software that doesn't think multiple processors = two processors. Early versions of Handbrake used only two processors, new version uses four. Photoshop will use as many processors as there are. Other applications will follow.
No, you only need software that doesn't think multiple processors = two processors. Early versions of Handbrake used only two processors, new version uses four. Photoshop will use as many processors as there are. Other applications will follow.
noel4r
Aug 11, 01:32 PM
The iPhone rumor has been going on for years. I just hope it's worth the long wait.

zacman
Apr 20, 03:46 AM
And the design was released after the iPhone was out.
No, it was shown at IFA 2006 for the first time but "officially presented" a few months later.
No, it was shown at IFA 2006 for the first time but "officially presented" a few months later.

bibbz
Jun 9, 05:04 PM
I would not ever go to a Best Buy myself and purchase a Cell Phone. They have no incentive to sell you anything really. An AT&T Store would be a better choice if you have no Apple Stores local. Best Buy and Wal-Mart would be my last option hands down. I would rather go somewhere that the employee makes commission and has more of a reason to serve and help you with your purchase than someone that is being paid hourly to be there. Apple Store is an exception here.
Absolutely true. We pay our guys well to sell you phones so they WANT your business and will help you 100% to gain it. Walmart and best buy are hourly employees and are just there.
That's "THE SHACK" to you sir! Sorry, I still can't over this crappy, crappy branding decision of theirs to call themselves "The Shack." Really?
When I watched basketball performances, it was from "The Shack." When I was 12, I had my porno hidden in "The Shack." And when I was 15 and in the Boy Scouts and I went camping/boating, I took a crap in "The Shack." But, when I was 16 and built a home-made rocket, I got my parts from "RADIO SHACK."
I agree with you, I am glad I quit Radio Shack before they transitioned to all this new stuff. The reason I see they are re-branding is because they no longer are in the Radio business and want to move along with the Technology and keep up. The parts they were known for selling when they started is just not a high demand market and is hard to target.
This is directed at both quotes above...
We are not changing our name to "The Shack". The company name is RadioShack and will remain RadioShack for now.
"The Shack is a nickname that almost all employees call it. If im at home and left something at work i would say: "Damn, i left my hat up at the shack. Oh well, ill get it tomorrow." I cannot remember the last time i said "RadioShack" I have been an employee for 4 1/2 years and a store manager for 2 1/2. This is just what we as employees call the place.
The advertising behind the shack is an effort to show and share that nickname that we have for RadioShack with the world. It's something that i am very happy to have embraced and shared with everyone.
Went down to Radio Shack today. They are doing a trade in but you're never gonna get the max price they offer unless it's out of the box new. My 3gs has normal wear over the year so they will only give 230 for it.
And I have a feeling trading in prices will drop when the iPhone 4 drops.
I have said numerous times in this thread that i wouldn't be surprised if the prices went down with the launch of the iPhone 4. Obviously i cant say whether it will or not bc i don't make that decision, but in simple business, it makes sense.
Absolutely true. We pay our guys well to sell you phones so they WANT your business and will help you 100% to gain it. Walmart and best buy are hourly employees and are just there.
That's "THE SHACK" to you sir! Sorry, I still can't over this crappy, crappy branding decision of theirs to call themselves "The Shack." Really?
When I watched basketball performances, it was from "The Shack." When I was 12, I had my porno hidden in "The Shack." And when I was 15 and in the Boy Scouts and I went camping/boating, I took a crap in "The Shack." But, when I was 16 and built a home-made rocket, I got my parts from "RADIO SHACK."
I agree with you, I am glad I quit Radio Shack before they transitioned to all this new stuff. The reason I see they are re-branding is because they no longer are in the Radio business and want to move along with the Technology and keep up. The parts they were known for selling when they started is just not a high demand market and is hard to target.
This is directed at both quotes above...
We are not changing our name to "The Shack". The company name is RadioShack and will remain RadioShack for now.
"The Shack is a nickname that almost all employees call it. If im at home and left something at work i would say: "Damn, i left my hat up at the shack. Oh well, ill get it tomorrow." I cannot remember the last time i said "RadioShack" I have been an employee for 4 1/2 years and a store manager for 2 1/2. This is just what we as employees call the place.
The advertising behind the shack is an effort to show and share that nickname that we have for RadioShack with the world. It's something that i am very happy to have embraced and shared with everyone.
Went down to Radio Shack today. They are doing a trade in but you're never gonna get the max price they offer unless it's out of the box new. My 3gs has normal wear over the year so they will only give 230 for it.
And I have a feeling trading in prices will drop when the iPhone 4 drops.
I have said numerous times in this thread that i wouldn't be surprised if the prices went down with the launch of the iPhone 4. Obviously i cant say whether it will or not bc i don't make that decision, but in simple business, it makes sense.
viccles
Aug 26, 04:21 PM
I'll believe it when I see it. Merom rumours have been flying for a long long time now. Not that it really concerns me anyway. Just hope its what you guys are anticipating

wescravn
Apr 10, 01:49 PM
Hoping for some better multi-core support(although probably going to have to wait for Lion for the newer QuickTime engine) and a UI that isn't from the 90's:
http://www.candlerblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/03_ambit_fullscreen-300x232.jpg
^ Final Cut on Mac OS 9
Final Cut on Tiger/Leopard/Snow Leopard:
http://adobe-discount.com/product_images/o/apple_final_cut_express_hd_4__90390.jpg
Only thing that's changed is the scroll bars.
LOL, if you think final cut is from the 90's then Avid Media Composer is from the 50's. It's horrible GUI. I wouldn't learn it, if they paid me big bucks. Well I take that back, I would, but I would hate it. Avid Looks like a POS, the graphics designers at Avid have always been behind though. Look at Protools.
http://www.candlerblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/03_ambit_fullscreen-300x232.jpg
^ Final Cut on Mac OS 9
Final Cut on Tiger/Leopard/Snow Leopard:
http://adobe-discount.com/product_images/o/apple_final_cut_express_hd_4__90390.jpg
Only thing that's changed is the scroll bars.
LOL, if you think final cut is from the 90's then Avid Media Composer is from the 50's. It's horrible GUI. I wouldn't learn it, if they paid me big bucks. Well I take that back, I would, but I would hate it. Avid Looks like a POS, the graphics designers at Avid have always been behind though. Look at Protools.
SevenInchScrew
Aug 5, 10:14 AM
...its as if the developers actively tried to suck all the enjoyment out of the series.
My thoughts exactly. The original GT was the game that got me started with the PlayStation brand, and sadly it is GT5 that will be causing the end of that connection. What started off as an amazing RACING game has slowly evolved into something that just does not interest me in the slightest.
My thoughts exactly. The original GT was the game that got me started with the PlayStation brand, and sadly it is GT5 that will be causing the end of that connection. What started off as an amazing RACING game has slowly evolved into something that just does not interest me in the slightest.
4JNA
Jul 20, 12:06 PM
'speakable items on' 'selecting hal9000 voice'
what are you doing dave?
you know i can't let you apply the filter to those pictures in that manner.
dave, i'm scared...
'speakable items off'
now we just need the big red glowing light on the front instead of the white one...:eek:
what are you doing dave?
you know i can't let you apply the filter to those pictures in that manner.
dave, i'm scared...
'speakable items off'
now we just need the big red glowing light on the front instead of the white one...:eek:
Pro31
Apr 11, 02:24 PM
This is good for me because I waited forever due to wanting a white iphone, and so I didn't upgrade until the fall time frame. Now I won't have to see how awesome the iphone 5 is while not being able to upgrade! :).
ccrandall77
Aug 11, 03:40 PM
Well now you ignorant yankie ;) Firstly the mobile phone penetration in Europe is about 99% or maybe slighly more. You should really travel a bit to get some perspective.
And secondly, GSM has user base of over 1 billion while CDMA as you said has some 60m users. Which one you think would be more interesting market to cover for a new mobile phone manufacturer? And there is really no question of "we'll see which one wins" because GSM won a long long time ago, hands down.
I don't need to travel to know that >99% mobile phone penetration is complete BS. Are you trying to say that EVERYONE in Europe has a cell phone?
Well using the Dr's stat, GSM is 81% of the market. A good chunk of the remaining 19% is CDMA. So roughly 1/5th of the market, with much of that market in affluent areas, uses CDMA. I stand by my statement that it's a significant market that Apple would be foolish to pass on.
And secondly, GSM has user base of over 1 billion while CDMA as you said has some 60m users. Which one you think would be more interesting market to cover for a new mobile phone manufacturer? And there is really no question of "we'll see which one wins" because GSM won a long long time ago, hands down.
I don't need to travel to know that >99% mobile phone penetration is complete BS. Are you trying to say that EVERYONE in Europe has a cell phone?
Well using the Dr's stat, GSM is 81% of the market. A good chunk of the remaining 19% is CDMA. So roughly 1/5th of the market, with much of that market in affluent areas, uses CDMA. I stand by my statement that it's a significant market that Apple would be foolish to pass on.
Bill McEnaney
Apr 30, 08:24 PM
Doesn't mean its a good idea or helpful to the nation, but its not libel/slander if its true.
Fair enough, but I think many are willing to make hasty public comments about others. On Chopped, a program on the Food Network, a judge accused a competitor of lying when the competitor said that before the show, he had already used an ingredient that he used incorrectly on the program. Maybe the contestant's other dish came out poorly when he first used that ingredient. I've written some programs in IBM 370 assembly language. So I've that language. But I've forgotten what I learned about it.
On other message board some posters accused others of homophobia, sounding as though they couldn't have cared less about whether or how much they harmed the reputations of the accused. On other boards, some posters accused me of homophobia, too. Unfortunately, I doubt that the accuser even wonder whether it would have been better to send me a private message instead.
I know that some people here believe that I'm too socially conservative. Although they may be right, I prefer too much caution to too little caution.
To their credit, everyone here has treated me politely, even when I've said things that offended them. Compared to posters I've met at some other boards, people here, including Lee Kohler, control themselves admirably. But if I, and I do mean I, calumniate someone politely publicly, privately, or both, polite wording doesn't make up for the harm I do to the calumniated person's reputation.
But its clear what you are implying
I didn't intend to imply anything.
Fair enough, but I think many are willing to make hasty public comments about others. On Chopped, a program on the Food Network, a judge accused a competitor of lying when the competitor said that before the show, he had already used an ingredient that he used incorrectly on the program. Maybe the contestant's other dish came out poorly when he first used that ingredient. I've written some programs in IBM 370 assembly language. So I've that language. But I've forgotten what I learned about it.
On other message board some posters accused others of homophobia, sounding as though they couldn't have cared less about whether or how much they harmed the reputations of the accused. On other boards, some posters accused me of homophobia, too. Unfortunately, I doubt that the accuser even wonder whether it would have been better to send me a private message instead.
I know that some people here believe that I'm too socially conservative. Although they may be right, I prefer too much caution to too little caution.
To their credit, everyone here has treated me politely, even when I've said things that offended them. Compared to posters I've met at some other boards, people here, including Lee Kohler, control themselves admirably. But if I, and I do mean I, calumniate someone politely publicly, privately, or both, polite wording doesn't make up for the harm I do to the calumniated person's reputation.
But its clear what you are implying
I didn't intend to imply anything.
HecubusPro
Aug 26, 04:22 PM
same here! I just hope Sept 5th or sooner:D
I would hope within the first few weeks of September at least. I shipments Apple was supposed to receive from overseas will reportedly hit on the 5th of September. After that, it would seem that all Apple has to do is ship products to the resellers and their online warehouses and begin selling them. I'm thinking the merom MBP's will start shipping to coincide with the Paris Expo next month though.
Still, it's getting close. I went ahead and dropped some cash on my first .mac account/software. I just can't wait to start using it on my new merom MPB 2.33ghz 17".:cool:
I would hope within the first few weeks of September at least. I shipments Apple was supposed to receive from overseas will reportedly hit on the 5th of September. After that, it would seem that all Apple has to do is ship products to the resellers and their online warehouses and begin selling them. I'm thinking the merom MBP's will start shipping to coincide with the Paris Expo next month though.
Still, it's getting close. I went ahead and dropped some cash on my first .mac account/software. I just can't wait to start using it on my new merom MPB 2.33ghz 17".:cool:
No comments:
Post a Comment